Burrowing a lot...

Whitneyrae

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396315967.524870.jpg
This is how izzy spends a lot of her day, her temp is 90-95 degrees and her enclosure is humid enough, why is she burrowing so much?

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What are you using to check temperatures? It maybe to hot . I use a temperature gun .

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I don't see her! Lol. My red foot is about 3 months old and is always burrowed - never comes out unless I force him to soak or eat. I just got him 11 days ago so I'm chalking it up to being a baby and acclimating?

Whitneyrae

She's under the plant! I have two stick on thermometers in there and one side says it's under 70 degrees on one side and it's 90 under her heat lamp and that's where she burrows, directly under her lamp

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You need a real thermometer digital at the least so that you can get accurate temp readings. Some digital thermometers have wire remote probes that are nice because then you don't have the actual unit inside the enclosure.
Also, what about your humidity levels and how are you measuring those?
Finally, what kind of tortoise are we talking about here?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Radio Shack cares wireless remote ones that have hydrometer with them. Then from your easy chair you'll know both, temps and humidity. Keep your receipt in the event it malfunctions.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I have a zoo med digital therm with the probe that I adjust the probe to when Arnold is under the light and it's the perfect temp, gets to 93-94. Was pretty cheap and seems to do its job. Also you might want to consider a table enclosure rather than a tank. Tortoises do better with open air circulation. If humidity is really necessary if you have a baby tortoise, consider a Tupperware upside with a cut out entrance and keep that humid and perhaps monitor the temp of that. I don't think adult Russians need "as much" humidity but also that depends on where you live. I live in Florida so of course it's always humid :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RussianTortxo said:
Tortoises do better with open air circulation.

My experience has not shown this to be the case. Quite the opposite actually.

What experience do you base this assertion and advice on?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Just the fact that if the walls of a tank are high that it would be harder for them to get a natural air flow. They are used to natural air flow in the wild so I feel a tank with high walls would just be a little difficult to get that natural experience.

I personally haven't owned a tortoise but I have done a lot of volunteer and observating at different animal hospitals and worked with aquatic mammals at a aquatic animal hospital as well, so although I haven't personally owned a tortoise until now and am in my 20's, I do actually have a lot of experience with a lot of different animals. I also am attending college in veterinary medicine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm giving you the nice version here, and then let's end it at that...

Please spend some time volunteer "observating" some tortoises in various tortoise enclosures, or better yet, actually spend years keeping a variety of tortoises in a variety of housing conditions before offering Internet advice to people on something that you have zero experience with one way or the other.

There is no "natural airflow" inside a house, especially when there is heating and air conditioning involved, and the air in my North American home is nothing like the air in the Sahel during the rainy season, or in Afghanistan at anytime of the year.

I'm not calling you any names, and no doubt you mean well, but giving the wrong advice can be harmful to our tortoises even though you might mean well.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
With all that Tom saying being true, I've got a very large outdoor setup for my russian tortoises. The pallets they dig for night time or nap time have always been in the areas that remain damp from only receiving indirect sunlight. There are many places that remain drier that would seem better suited for them but I have yet, over a number of years, ever had one dig in those areas. Bask, yes. Bed down, nope. Hope this helps.

Whitneyrae

Thanks for all the advice, I was kinda curious if anybody's tort does this just because they like it or want to?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine had to be brought in for a few weeks because they came out of hibernation to soon and the weather turned. I noticed they were digging in and staying put for the most part and were not eating. I checked temps and they appeared to be ok but I lowered the light anyway thinking it wouldn't hurt to bump up into the low hundreds, around 100 - 105 ish. Man what a difference! They almost never dug in and they seemed to never want to stop eating! I had to switch from pre cut spring mix to buying full heads of lettuce, kale, endive etc.., to be able to afford to feed them. Raising that basking temp seemed to do the trick. they are back outside now and enjoying the nice North Texas spring time.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Okay then why have I seen so many of you suggest that tanks aren't good for their habitat? Lol why did I join a forum where people are so rude! What has this world come to. No need to pick on me, it's a form of bullying and can really get people into trouble.

And FYI I have done work with tortoises, this is just my first time personally owning one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RussianTortxo said:
Okay then why have I seen so many of you suggest that tanks aren't good for their habitat? Lol why did I join a forum where people are so rude! What has this world come to. No need to pick on me, it's a form of bullying and can really get people into trouble.

And FYI I have done work with tortoises, this is just my first time personally owning one.

If your PMs were not disabled I would answer you. Please do not derail this useful thread any further.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
They aren't disabled and I think I'm allowed to have my own opinion about things. Just because you disagree is not a reason to bash me and put me down. I see a lot of times you will go on a post and just put peoples opinions down. Most of the time you seem to know your information, but just because someone doesn't agree with you is absolutely no reason to pick on me for it. I don't deserve it and I'm entitled to my own opinions, just like everyone else. Have a nice day :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Russiantortxo:

Please go to your User CP page and enable your email and PM features. Right now when someone wants to contact you, the spaces for PM and email are blank (not enabled).

Yes, you most certainly are allowed to have an opinion. In fact, we encourage people to have their own opinions. I don't think Tom's response to you was rude or 'bashing' in any way. We have strict rules about being rude, and we don't allow it. He was telling you in a most polite way that he didn't agree with your opinion, and he has more years of experience with caring for tortoises than you do.

This is the last anyone is going to be allowed to say on this subject in this thread. If you want to continue the argument, please start a thread in the "Debatable Topics" section.