burrowing all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay area, California
Hi,

I just got a baby Hermanns, and it has been burrowing under the mulch for the whole day (the part under the lamp) is this normal? should he be more active at this age? or could it be he is just getting used to his new surroundings?

thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you just got him, then yes, you do need to give him time to get accustomed to his new home. It may take a week, long or shorter. Just be sure all your temps and humidity is correct also.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's, Elsa, was about 4 inches long when I got her, and she stayed completely buried in the substrate under her heat lamp for almost the whole first week I had her. SHe would come out to eat, then quickly dig in again. They do that when they're scared, and a new home is very scary. I think most babies stay hidden a lot because they'd be a tasty snack for lots of different animals!

The wonderful folks on this forum kept reminding me to be patient, and that she'd come around in her own time. I've had her just over 2 months and she eats her favorite food- yellow dandelion flowers- out of my hand! She used to hide behind a big fern in her enclosure any time she saw me, but now she just watches me if she's basking. Sometimes she still hides, but she's so much better than she was.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Give your little guy some time to adjust! You may find that he also doesn't eat very much at first, once he stops digging down all day. Be sure to set up a routine and let him be for now. He/she will come around :)

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
I was also wondering about nighttime temperatures... in the place where he sleeps, it gets to around 70 degrees, sometimes a bit colder...when I picked him up this morning for a soak, his shell was a bit cold...is there anything I should do about this, or will he be fine? I already leave the UVB on for 12-13 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.