Light and heat while burrowing

Louise66

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes uk
Hi everyone,
This may be a stupid question( i seem to think of one at least each day) my two hermanns in different enclosures both have learnt the art of burrowing. At around 4 in the afternoon everyday, down they go and stay there untill the next morning. Is this normal? I have had them 2 weeks now and this is new . If they do this do i need to leave the uva/uvb (mega ray ) light on ? I usually have it on 8am to 8 pm unless they have been outside (uk) .
I look forward to any replies .
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is normal. Babies spend a lot of time hiding in the wild to avoid being eaten. Adults will sometimes do this too once they've done all they needed to do for the day. I still like to leave the lights on for 12-13 hours a day. The "sun" shouldn't go down just because they dug in. Never know. They might decide to come back out again.

Louise66

Milton Keynes uk
Thank you so much. New things pop up everyday. After separating them after advice from you and others the smaller one seems to be really coming on and eating much more.
I am spending a lot of my days tortoise watching and making sure they eat. Is this silly or should I walk away after putting food down and leave them to it and hope they eat.
My husband says spending too much time watching what they do, but they definitely recognise my voice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much. New things pop up everyday. After separating them after advice from you and others the smaller one seems to be really coming on and eating much more.
I am spending a lot of my days tortoise watching and making sure they eat. Is this silly or should I walk away after putting food down and leave them to it and hope they eat.
My husband says spending too much time watching what they do, but they definitely recognise my voice.
You should enjoy them however you want. Some people stare at them and cuddle them all day, and other people drop food and walk away. Either extreme is fine as long as the tortoise's basic need are met and they are healthy.

Hubby sounds jealous. I don't give marriage advice. I leave that one for you to figure out.