Burrowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
I read that RF's aren't supposed to burrow, but I just checked on him and couldn't find him. I saw a weird lump that wasn't there before in the substrate so I checked it out and it's Levi hiding under the mulch! Is this supposed to happen? Was my source wrong and is he burrowing?ImageUploadedByTortForum1376151410.911085.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376151482.027000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
As they get older they won't as often, as a baby however it can be common, in the wild the baby has a lot of predators and will hide a lot at first in order avoid them, plus burrowing down helps give them a humid microenvironment. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Every species I ever kept digs down like that into the substrate when they are babies. Leopards, CDTs, sulcatas, Russians, stars, etc...

TJ1999

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Yep. Every species I ever kept digs down like that into the substrate when they are babies. Leopards, CDTs, sulcatas, Russians, stars, etc...

How long should I let him be under there? He's been down there for over an hour. Should I put him back on top?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies sleep a lot. I'd leave him alone. He'll come up when he's ready.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Awwww its cute when they do that. Alan my RF used to do this but now he's 2 he seems to have stopped doing it. :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They do not construct burrows, but they will bury themselves. Totally normal/proper and I agree with all of the other posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.