Burying

tortoisekev

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I understand that tortoise do like to bury themselves, however I just want to check that what Kevin is doing is normal and not a problem.

He, doesn’t always, but does like to sometimes bury himself into the substrate. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s too hot, too cold, or that he just likes it! He hurts himself completely, maybe leaving a tiny bit of shell showing.

Pictures (if you can spot him!)

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

A picture of his enclosure. It’s quite large (moved a few plants around since this picture). But gives you an idea of his table.

IMG_2874.jpg

Diamond

phoenix,az
Yes, It's very normal that they hide under the dirt. They can make it difficult to find them at times.:tort::)

BAMJ

Hampshire
Mine buried herself yesterday in the later afternoon and I dug her up today as I got worried she might suffocate and she gave me the dirtiest look ? I assume she's happy being buried alive. Apparently, in the wild they can dig up to 30 feet tunnels and 35 burrows so it seems like natural behaviour.

The reasons for burying (as I understand after researching) is to cool down, hide from predators, prepare for hibernation, general enjoyment and natural behaviour ? quite a wide range so hard to pin down but from the look of your setup your tortoise must be a very happy bunny!!

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Lovely looking setup dude ??? kudos!

Yea mine likes to dig down to sleep in the evening, it's also a way for them to access higher humidity and a change of tempreture