Butternut squash

Jaxcross

Hi.
Update on the Sucata I adopted a few wks back.
I asked for advice and received a lot of useful info off of this forum.
She's improved greatly and is eating a variety of leafy foods, grass n dandelions.
However I've read I can give her butternut squash.. I gave her some and she loved it. But how often is it ok to give her it..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use squash about once a week.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I feed out squash to all the species I have, but usually at about a rate of 5% or less over the course of several meals. So in one week it might be 5% of every meal, or on another week it might be 30% of a single meal. Some species like some squashes better than others, green zucchini is best liked on average by all, yellow zucchini as a alternate is relished as well. For winter or hard squashes butternut is a favorite, followed by acorn. I've also mixed in semi-cooked spaghetti squash, hinge-backs, Forsten's and forest species like it.

The leaves and flowers are a good thing to create variety in the diet as well.

HenleyT

Albuquerque, NM
I feed out squash to all the species I have, but usually at about a rate of 5% or less over the course of several meals. So in one week it might be 5% of every meal, or on another week it might be 30% of a single meal. Some species like some squashes better than others, green zucchini is best liked on average by all, yellow zucchini as a alternate is relished as well. For winter or hard squashes butternut is a favorite, followed by acorn. I've also mixed in semi-cooked spaghetti squash, hinge-backs, Forsten's and forest species like it.

The leaves and flowers are a good thing to create variety in the diet as well.
Thank you so much for the info.

Justin90

Texas
I feed Butternut Squash to my Hermanns all the time. I will give her a couple pieces with her meal almost everyday. When I say everyday...every weekish I change her diet. So everyday for a weekish she will have a couple pieces of the squash along with her main course, the next week its carrots or something else.

BTW, I love watching her eat the squash. The squash is precut at the store in small cube like pieces. Sometimes she grabs the piece and lifts it in the air, kind waves it like a flag like its a fresh piece of meat of something she just killed haha.