Button’s thread

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Has he eaten yet? How many more days can he go without food?
Not yet, and realistically, he can go months without eating and still be fine. Sailors actually used to keep tortoises on deck as food because they could go so long without being fed :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Guess who finally ate!View attachment 296339
I stuck half piece of romaine out with him, left for a few minutes, and when I came back, it was mostly gone and had bites taken out!
I’m glad my hunch that sunlight would do it was right :)
My tort Murphy has been on a hunger strike ever since I moved him into his new enclosure. ? They just hate change lol.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My tort Murphy has been on a hunger strike ever since I moved him into his new enclosure. ? They just hate change lol.
Saphire sniffs everything before he eats. You would think he's got a smorgasbord but it just doesn't work that way. Then he'll eat everything down to the last crumb sometimes. So I spend my life trying to spoil him. I don't know who the pet is. Me or him...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so glad you got your little butt on piglet Techno Cheese. I hadn't seen anything until today. Sooo?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Not yet, and realistically, he can go months without eating and still be fine. Sailors actually used to keep tortoises on deck as food because they could go so long without being fed :)
but they were 600 lb Galops not 8 oz Russians...while a normal sized tort can go for weeks without eating not months they 'can' but shouldn't....

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
but they were 600 lb Galops not 8 oz Russians...while a normal sized tort can go for weeks without eating not months they 'can' but shouldn't....
I agree that they shouldn’t and no one should ever try it, but my point is that they can. Obviously a russian can’t go as long as a Galapagos, just using it as a little fun fact :)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Yay! I love watching tortoises eat. Go B.P.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Finally got him to try other foods than just Romaine! I basically made a lettuce shell taco with dried dandelions, chamomile, and rose petals.

He’s such a character! He keeps running to his basking spot and then coming back for more every few bites. Even pushed the plate down a hill and wouldn’t get off of it while I dragged it back up. Hope he’ll keep letting me mix up his diet!