Over feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Think I have been over feeding Rosie and Jim.I give them each a big handful each day and also when its nice they go outside and graze.One is more like a piglet and the other dont eat so much and not so fast.
On the 2nd of july Rosie weighed 120g and today she weighs 131g
Jim weighed 132g and today he weighs 147g
They are both 3 in september
Not sure of the sexes of them both yet!

I was told on here they are supposed to put on 2-4 gms per month

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I feed mine every other day. Because the estivate in the wild, they will eat themselves silly if allowed to. It's hard to deny their sweet little faces when they're begging for food, but a good tort mom has to say no to too much food. :(

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Thank you. Yes you are right! I will feed them every other day.Most days they are in the garden anyway its not as tho they will starve ;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I let my guys pig out during the growing season, because during the winter they don't eat as much (even if I don't hibernate them). So, I want them to have more fat reserves to last them through that period when they are less active or even fasting.

It's good for them to have a little pudge, as long as they are not so fat that it becomes hard for them to withdraw into their shells.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Ahhhh okay..They dont eat alll the time, only what I put in front of them, they dont demolish it.Its just that I weighed them today. Only had the since 27th june this year

abigailandemily

5 Year Member
I'm trying to figure out the feeding thing as well. I give them a small handful of kale twice a day. They power through it like they are starved. I read that you should give them as much as they will eat in 20 mins so what I give takes them about 10 mins morning/night?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
abigailandemily said:
I'm trying to figure out the feeding thing as well. I give them a small handful of kale twice a day. They power through it like they are starved. I read that you should give them as much as they will eat in 20 mins so what I give takes them about 10 mins morning/night?

Yes, you can do that. You can either give them one big breakfast that takes 20 minutes to eat, or you can give them a smaller breakfast that takes 10 minutes, and then a smaller dinner that takes 10 minutes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.