Buying a tortoise

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Is this 💯 safe cuz if it is then i can get it( I thought tortoises can't have foods medicine's and etc meant for Humans) just confirm it to me asap so i can order it so i get it right after eid ul adha
This is safe, but it would always be better if you can find one with only calcium (this has also vitamin D, but it is not needed if your tortoises gets sun or has a UVB lamp). I wasn't able to find any with only calcium on that specific site.

You can use these tablets made for humans by grinding it to a powder and putting only a little on their food three times a week.

talal

Karachi Pakistan
This is safe, but it would always be better if you can find one with only calcium (this has also vitamin D, but it is not needed if your tortoises gets sun or has a UVB lamp). I wasn't able to find any with only calcium on that specific site.

You can use these tablets made for humans by grinding it to a powder and putting only a little on their food three times a week
Ok I'll order them

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Are

Are u sure a single can would last me atleast 6 months?
Cans are usually 50g or more (100, 200g). One year is a 48 weeks. To finish a can in one year you have to feed 1g a week. It's a lot for multi-vitamins (not sure what is measuring spoon volume, maybe 0.1-0.2g).

As of plain calcium, you can just crush cuttlebone into powder and sprinkle the foods. Ask in the pet stores if they have broken cuttlebones (not suitable for birds) - maybe they can give it away for free or at bargain price.

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Cans are usually 50g or more (100, 200g). One year is a 48 weeks. To finish a can in one year you have to feed 1g a week. It's a lot for multi-vitamins (not sure what is measuring spoon volume, maybe 0.1-0.2g).

As of plain calcium, you can just crush cuttlebone into powder and sprinkle the foods. Ask in the pet stores if they have broken cuttlebones (not suitable for birds) - maybe they can give it away for free or at bargain price.
Yeah i have been using the cuttle fish bone

talal

Karachi Pakistan
I am facing a issue rn. Actually my tortoises basically whenever i gave them the veggie leaves mixes used to eat mostly the green leaf lettuce and a little bit of the rest of the veggies now in Pakistan idk if the season for green leaf lettuce harvesting has ended or what cuz the lettuce isn't available anywhere now my tortoise are barely eating the rest of the veggies and have fed them cucumbers and carrot mixed into there salads they sorta eat it but idk what to do cause feeding them cucumbers regularly is bad for them. I have ordered some rocket leaves which are mad expensive and idek whether they would like them or nah

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
What other greens are sold in stores or growing around you? Maybe some of the locally growing plants, succulents, trees or bushes can be a "staple food"

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I got rocket leaves for them today they are eating it but are not as crazy for it as lettuce i think they sort of got addicted to lettuce no wonder they don't wanna eat anything
Yeah, that is probable, just keep trying new foods. I am going to check the link later today

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Heres the link
Thanks!

I see no "staple" foods but for variety you can get some of these (bunch a week, maybe):
1. Coriander (aka cilantro, aka dhanya).
2. Mint - only if it's garden mint (spearmint) and not peppermint.
3. Curry leaves - surprisingly good Calcium:phosphorus ratio.

The trouble with all three is strong aroma - it will take time and patience to introduce them.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The Clean greens assorted mixed salad should be a fine staple, but it is low in fiber.

Brassicas can be only fed in moderation, two or more plants from this list should not be fed in conjunction with each other
  • rocket
  • cabbage
  • Emma not your typical broccoli
  • Clean Greens curly kale
These can be fed as a "treat"
  • long gourd/loki
  • lime leaves (don't feed the fruit or the flower)
  • turai
  • basil
You could feed one plant from these two lists per week to add variation, but they aren't good daily foods.

If your tortoises diet is mainly lettuce, you should consider getting some fiber supplementation. Do you have any pellets meant for rabbits to eat for example?

talal

Karachi Pakistan
The Clean greens assorted mixed salad should be a fine staple, but it is low in fiber.

Brassicas can be only fed in moderation, two or more plants from this list should not be fed in conjunction with each other
  • rocket
  • cabbage
  • long gourd/loki
  • turai
  • basil
You could feed one plant from these two lists per week to add variation, but they aren't good daily foods.

If your tortoises diet is mainly lettuce, you should consider getting some fiber supplementation. Do you have any pellets meant for rabbits to eat for example?
Yeah i feed them this one

Attachments

• download (8).jpeg
    download (8).jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1

talal

Karachi Pakistan

• rocket
  • cabbage
  • long gourd/loki
  • turai
  • basil

Lettuce isnt even available now thats the biggest issue