Buying a tortoise

talal

Location (City and/or State)
Karachi Pakistan
I have planted 2 hibiscus plants aswell as a rose but they are pretty small and have very less leaves to feed

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Good "staples", but low in fiber:
  • Mizuna red empire
  • Romaine lettuce red
Can be fed sparingly, not healthy if eaten often or in large amounts:
  • Red swiss chard - quite high in oxalic acid so only feed occasionally as part of a varied diet. It is important to ensure your tortoise is fully hydrated before offering.
  • Bok choi - feed in moderation, part of the brassicae family (along with some of the vegetables in my other list). Two or more brassicae plants should not be fed in conjunction. They contain goitrogens, which can interfere with thyroid activity and contribute to kidney and bladder stones, but they are fine to feed as a small part of a wider, varied diet.
  • Komatsuna - this is also part of the brassicae family, see above

Have looked into options to supplement fiber? Like pellets for rabbits to eat or something similar?

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Yeah i feed them this one
This is the rabbit food i feed them once a week but they barely eat it directly so i used to coat there lettuce in this and cuttlefish bone powder and they used to eat it but rn i am quite worried as my tortoise are not touching anything except cucumbers as they used to eat only lettuce but that isn't available rn

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
This is the rabbit food i feed them once a week but they barely eat it directly so i used to coat there lettuce in this and cuttlefish bone powder and they used to eat it but rn i am quite worried as my tortoise are not touching anything except cucumbers as they used to eat only lettuce but that isn't available rn
Sorry I missed this. Have you tried soaking the pellets or do you offer them dry? You could dry smearing some cucumber juice to the pellets to try to make your tortoise to eat them without the lettuce. Here are some tips to introducing new foods: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/introducing-a-new-diet/

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Sorry I missed this. Have you tried soaking the pellets or do you offer them dry? You could dry smearing some cucumber juice to the pellets to try to make your tortoise to eat them without the lettuce. Here are some tips to introducing new foods: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/introducing-a-new-diet/
I soak them before i feed them but I'll surely try the cucumber juice thing but the thing is how often and hiw much should i feed them the pellets.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I soak them before i feed them but I'll surely try the cucumber juice thing but the thing is how often and hiw much should i feed them the pellets.
You can feed them 3 times a week, or about every other day. I can't really comment on how much since I haven't owned a sulcata or a hatchling. I will tag some people who have @wellington @Tom @Ray--Opo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can feed the rabbit pellets daily?
Mazuri, 2-3 times a week.
But what kind of rabbit pellets? Are they just hay pellets?
Hay pellets you could feed daily but you still need to make it a varied diet, not feeding just one or two items, but as many different items as possible.
You can feed the same thing one day, but then make the next day with something different or added to what was fed the day before.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington OP has said that he feeds this one: https://kol.pet/products/small-pet-select-rabbit-food-pellets-10-pound

His biggest problem is currently that his sulcata hatchling refuses to eat anything but lettuce, which isn't available to him currently.

@wellington OP has said that he feeds this one: https://kol.pet/products/small-pet-select-rabbit-food-pellets-10-pound

His biggest problem is currently that his sulcata hatchling refuses to eat anything but lettuce, which isn't available to him currently.
None of the grocery greens that are okay to feed is available?

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Yeah i somehow need to make him like the pellets and just add greens whatever is available but for that he needs to like the pellets which he doesn't i have kept some in enclosure soaked but tmrw insha'Allah i will try the cucumber thing with the pellets btw i got the chewcal(the calciun ones

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you might try growing wheatgrass in small flower pots. Get 3 pots and start the seeds in 1 pot. 5 days later start another pot and so on. You can take the grass and use scissors to cut on top of the pellets. Sounds like you are going to have to grow some of the foods. You can feed everyday,don't let your sully get stuck eating one thing. Sometimes you have to have tough love. If you know there is a food he will eat and he sticks his nose up to the food. Just leave in the dish for a couple of days. Sooner or later he will eat it.