Bye Bye HURRICANE SEASON 2023!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Another lucky break for South Florida. No hurricanes this season.
But it hasn't stopped our hurricane premiums on our homeowners insurance from doubling in cost (again)
What a racket that is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123_223841_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_223841_Facebook.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's all supposed to be assurance that you won't be hit with high costs if a catastrophic event happens. What if the cost makes you lose your home anyway because you can no longer afford the payments. Some banks require you to have it while you carry the loan. Don't get me started on insurance company payments. I hate them. They are a ponsey scheme all day long. The health care stuff is the same. I'm like the old bidy Martha on the commercials 😉

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes! Totally true about the insurance companies. Luckily for me, I can't afford house insurance anyway, so I don't have to contend with them along with any hurricanes! Well, no hurricanes for Jamaica again this year, just some severe flooding.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yay guys! I wish you guys never had to deal with big storms but you both also live in nice places......

I worry bout you Tammy the most.....you are a happy woman who is happy in your home....I just don't want to see anything ruin that for you.

Insurance
I know that I don't like anyone telling or forcing me to buy anything, especially to an industry that traditionally (is #1 or #2 largest congressional political donors)...naw, we won't talk politics.

That said, I can't complain, Erie insurance will never get even, I simply won't live long enough even if I live another 30 yrs! For me, insurance has been a good thing. Even so, I hate dealing with ins companies, I think we all do.

BTW-- the other is the Cable industry

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yay guys! I wish you guys never had to deal with big storms but you both also live in nice places......

I worry bout you Tammy the most.....you are a happy woman who is happy in your home....I just don't want to see anything ruin that for you.

Insurance
I know that I don't like anyone telling or forcing me to buy anything, especially to an industry that traditionally (is #1 or #2 largest congressional political donors)...naw, we won't talk politics.

That said, I can't complain, Erie insurance will never get even, I simply won't live long enough even if I live another 30 yrs! For me, insurance has been a good thing. Even so, I hate dealing with ins companies, I think we all do.

BTW-- the other is the Cable industry
Cable isn't half as bad as the satellite ripoff...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well. Since the bank technically owns your house until you've made that last payment. I think it's fair that they require you to keep insurance on the property. Including the hurricane policy.
What's not fair is the cost of the insurance with that overriding policy.
It costs as much as a new roof....EVERY 12 months. And the few remaining companies are pretty good about sticking together to give us the biggest cost with the smallest return.
But then again. That's just how insurance companies work.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. The Bank owns your house so you have to buy insurance. As far as that goes Erie has proven to be a better one. We do have to have it. However, I absolutely can't stand medical insurance companies. They make their own policies that change every time you turn around. Then they put doctors offices that have seen you in person through untold paperwork to get those orders followed. I've seen this happen many times because of my corn allergy. They also usually don't support any more than they have to locally and family owned pharmacies. I could go on and on about the real harm that they do. So yes I am Martha the old biddy telling them to just shut up and put your money where your mouth is. Then they might for a bit but as soon as you turn your back they come up with a new hoop to jump.🥴

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. The Bank owns your house so you have to buy insurance. As far as that goes Erie has proven to be a better one. We do have to have it. However, I absolutely can't stand medical insurance companies. They make their own policies that change every time you turn around. Then they put doctors offices that have seen you in person through untold paperwork to get those orders followed. I've seen this happen many times because of my corn allergy. They also usually don't support any more than they have to locally and family owned pharmacies. I could go on and on about the real harm that they do. So yes I am Martha the old biddy telling them to just shut up and put your money where your mouth is. Then they might for a bit but as soon as you turn your back they come up with a new hoop to jump.🥴
Luckily I'm part of a very large group policy. My health insurance is both employer paid, (now thst im back at work)and very good.
Even when I was still living off of just my pension. That $800 a month seemed like much better money spent than my homeowners insurance. I have at least one medication that is twice that all by itself.
I also qualified for a life insurance policy of 5x my yearly pay.
Something I could never get with my list of pre existing conditions.
So, I'm not anti insurance.
I'll probably just pay what's left on this little house and drop the hurricane policy. And just keep enough money on hand for a roof replacement and a few other things.
This place was built in 1971. It's been through some wicked storms. Only the roof shingles and part of the fence flew away. And that was all before the new windows. Doors and roof modifications I've made.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Luckily I'm part of a very large group policy. My health insurance is both employer paid, (now thst im back at work)and very good.
Even when I was still living off of just my pension. That $800 a month seemed like much better money spent than my homeowners insurance. I have at least one medication that is twice that all by itself.
I also qualified for a life insurance policy of 5x my yearly pay.
Something I could never get with my list of pre existing conditions.
So, I'm not anti insurance.
I'll probably just pay what's left on this little house and drop the hurricane policy. And just keep enough money on hand for a roof replacement and a few other things.
This place was built in 1971. It's been through some wicked storms. Only the roof shingles and part of the fence flew away. And that was all before the new windows. Doors and roof modifications I've made.
Don't get me wrong I use insurance and sometimes it works. The worst ones for me are the health care ones. Since most of US medications are made with corn it's really hard to get them to comprehend a dang thing. Don't give me a pill made with corn starch. I need something made with tapioca or potato starch instead. They figure it costs more so I'm not worth it 😉

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow...I pay around 300 bucks a month for ALL insurances combined.....and I'm rethinking the sense of that...........you guys have a lot higher threshold for pain than I do!

800 PER MONTH Z? 1600 med cost, wow, I'm sorry.

I know a few folks here that have real and very serious medical issues. I wish I could fix them for you but we all know we can't. Please don't take my view as any disrespect to your own situations.

I have very strong opinions about insurance so I'll caveat my view with this.....I have never gotten sick, all my operations have been broken hands & knees and a comforter's worth of stitches. No major stuff, just repairs. I have a self-caused lung issue(I smoked) that I pretty much ignore....not bad and won't get worse, just halves my capacity. I know its not a big deal to me. I also don't currently pay for health ins, it's part of my comp package so my load is less.

Kerry and I are going round & round bout the "Insurance bill" in the future. She of course is the "stable & responsible one" and wants me to sign up Advantage ABCDEFG & Z if they offer it when I retire next year while I'm much more pragmatic in my attitudes towards insurance.

Paying because something MIGHT happen? I have a hard time with that.

Yes, my wife and I were fully insured as were my kids as they grew up I had to make sure they would be covered & we would be covered as a family......but now?

"I love you Kerry, but don't get sick or you're outta here"...yeah, no, I would not tell her that....not sure I can still duck fast enough! LOL

To me, it's money wasted BUT, I also don't need it right now either. I imagine if I went through half of what many here deal with, I might feel pretty thankful for it.

This is my tab each year now....but who knows, I might be in your shoes sooner than later!
Per year;
1600 car ins
320 bike ins
1600 homeowners (we will find out in Jan if this has changed from last year)

I have a feeling that sometime next July or August, I will end up posting about this again....just have a sneaky feeling.......