Bye Bye WELLS FARGO bank!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Really, it is ridiculous. But I don't know anyone with state of the art mailboxes. I've never even seen one in our neighborhood. Or our city for that matter. Someone cashing a check fraudulently with a video available and allowing it to disappear is crazy to me. I've seen actions similar by banks. They weren't in business soon after. When I was younger my Aunt would pay me by check for babysitting. The bank wouldn't honor them even though she went in and told them to. Other issues also from other banks. When they start acting stingy with your money it's a sure fire sign banks in trouble. I recently went through something with my bank concerning an automatic payment that should have been cancelled because I did in time. It was from a medical company. Somehow the bank immediately replaced it. Months later I finally got a check from the company which I didn't cash but you get the drift. My bank took my word for it.
Yes. Your bank should be on YOUR SIDE.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have an appointment to open up my new primary account on Friday.
I've already withdrawn almost every dollar that isn't already spoken for from Wells Fargo. Just in case there is another attempt to steal from me.....They'll get SQUAT.
At least THAT gives me some level of peace of mind.
Nothing that they've done has.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have an appointment to open up my new primary account on Friday.
I've already withdrawn almost every dollar that isn't already spoken for from Wells Fargo. Just in case there is another attempt to steal from me.....They'll get SQUAT.
At least THAT gives me some level of peace of mind.
Nothing that they've done has.
I usually mail my checks from my home mail box. Mailmen/women do still do that. But I can sit on my bum and watch them pick it up if I'm home. Some bills I pay by landline. Some are auto debit. I've even used postal boxes. I don't like having my info in the cloud so I don't do online banking but that's just me. I'm even able to check our accounts from my landline. If your bank is backing you up even online banking should be backed up so Something's wrong about Wells Fargo.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I usually mail my checks from my home mail box. Mailmen/women do still do that. But I can sit on my bum and watch them pick it up if I'm home. Some bills I pay by landline. Some are auto debit. I've even used postal boxes. I don't like having my info in the cloud so I don't do online banking but that's just me. I'm even able to check our accounts from my landline. If your bank is backing you up even online banking should be backed up so Something's wrong about Wells Fargo.
Many things are wrong with Wells Fargo.
And burying my "gold" in Mason jars in my backyard has the same interest rate and even better security.
(No. I don't have gold buried in my yard)

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Good for you Z...if their situation bests fits you.

I was going to warn about online only banks........ask me about Ally, okay, I will tell you.....NO RECOURSE, just menus and very nice folks with no functionality. A nightmare I won't repeat. I could afford to pay it off and make them as an issue, go away but the stream of reviews at the Consumer complaint div website told me that I should have done some research and not just accepted the dealers selected bank when I bought the daughtercar. A lot of folks can't!

EricW

Houston, TX
Good for you Z...if their situation bests fits you.

I was going to warn about online only banks........ask me about Ally, okay, I will tell you.....NO RECOURSE, just menus and very nice folks with no functionality. A nightmare I won't repeat. I could afford to pay it off and make them as an issue, go away but the stream of reviews at the Consumer complaint div website told me that I should have done some research and not just accepted the dealers selected bank when I bought the daughtercar. A lot of folks can't!
Sorry you had a bad experience, but a good point. Do need to research the firms. For the most part, I learned any company that advertises a ton usually has issues of some sort. Ally advertised a lot so I never considered them. It's a rule that has worked fairly well for me. Wells Fargo does a lot of marketing/advertising as well. It's money and that is money they are earning from you as a customer to spend on all that. The banks that market a lot tend to have more fees.

Discover, Citibank, and other large financial firms have online banking as well. I have done a few things with various online banking firms and all have been pleasant with the best deals on the market. SoFi was one that I dealt with and had a superb experience, granted never had to talk to a person and all was done via webpage. So if one wants to talk to a person, I suggest a large, more traditional firm like Discover or Citibank. Me personally, if I have to talk to a person, they are just going to try to upsell me, sell me more debt, etc. And I do not want to spend 20 minutes trying to close an account while you try to talk me into trying out more services that make them money on interest. SoFi right now has 4% APY on savings accounts if you use direct deposit. Usually do not find that with most brick and mortar banking institutions.

I do not carry debt other than my house, so do not care for the sales side of banking. Usually I get pretty nasty if they are persistent. I learned my lesson in my 20's on debt and spent most of my 30's getting out of it, I am not going back.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
FWIW;
I'm not a banker, I'm just a dumb plumber and I'm good with that....it lowers the expectation that I actually know what I'm talking about. Look at it this way.... I'm like Cliff @ Cheers, right?

Here's my own opinion...about banking online, not using an online bank. I built my first computer before we used bulletin boards before the advent of the internet. I've never been hacked, stolen identity or anything else, since the late 70's!

The Fear;
The downside of doing banking on the computer is that everyone wants you to sign up for direct pay or ebilling, then they get hacked with NO PENELTIES and our info gets sold and we get screwed! That doesn't fly well with me so I found a way around it......

1st rule;

GIVE NO ONE ACCESS to your accounts, not for a 1/4 point of interest, not for a pot of gold, don't do it!

Doing this stuff at the keyboard can be done without giving anyone access to your account. Instead of signing up at the Electric co for example I will go to my banks website and from my banks website, I simply make a payment of 350 to my account number ea. month using bill pay, when I choose to, usually a week or two before their due since the cable co will block deposits till it's "late" then charge 5 bucks....so F 'em, I pay it a week early.

I never accept suggested ebills from the bank and I don't install apps from them. They get nothing but what I owe them. Phone, elect, cable co, Discover, mortgage, insurance all done the same way....no one complains, because they assigned the account numbers that the banks and programs use.

For Z,
BoA has a bill pay program too and they will not only show you how to do it, if you take your bills, they will input the values for you.....especially if you play up the "old man" thing, brother! LOL

EricW

Houston, TX
Here's my own opinion...about banking online, not using an online bank. I built my first computer before we used bulletin boards before the advent of the internet. I've never been hacked, stolen identity or anything else, since the late 70's!
Whether you online bank or not, all your data is on a server somewhere and is hackable and more than likely already has been. I have never been hacked, stolen identity, or any else as far as I know. As far as I know is the key word here. It doesn't mean it hasn't happened or my information isn't out there. I am pretty sure my information is out there. I have had my credit card stolen and my debit card information stolen, but those happened on traditional methods and not taken from an online transaction.

The cyber criminals use various sources of data to not only gain information, but to put it together to create your identity. For example, any social security number issued before 2011, if I know what state or zip code you are born, I know the first 5 numbers of your Social Security number. Fairly easy to get. Then there are several places or documents on which to see the last 4 digits of your social. It is quite easy for a cyber criminal to link your Social Security number together.

Medical records, credit cards companies, private company employee files, etc. all been hacked, info. stolen, etc. Whether you make an online transaction or not, the organizations you interact with are still putting your data our there.

The only way to evade hacking, stolen identity, or anything else is to complete stay off the grid. Pay in cash, no use of CC or anything. Even still, all your govt. and medical records are on servers and are hackable (Social Security, DOB, DL #, etc.).

It sucks, sometimes I wish I can go back in time. All this cyber crud is nice, but when I think of security and my privacy, it freaks me out.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Whether you online bank or not, all your data is on a server somewhere and is hackable and more than likely already has been. I have never been hacked, stolen identity, or any else as far as I know. As far as I know is the key word here. It doesn't mean it hasn't happened or my information isn't out there. I am pretty sure my information is out there. I have had my credit card stolen and my debit card information stolen, but those happened on traditional methods and not taken from an online transaction.

The cyber criminals use various sources of data to not only gain information, but to put it together to create your identity. For example, any social security number issued before 2011, if I know what state or zip code you are born, I know the first 5 numbers of your Social Security number. Fairly easy to get. Then there are several places or documents on which to see the last 4 digits of your social. It is quite easy for a cyber criminal to link your Social Security number together.

Medical records, credit cards companies, private company employee files, etc. all been hacked, info. stolen, etc. Whether you make an online transaction or not, the organizations you interact with are still putting your data our there.

The only way to evade hacking, stolen identity, or anything else is to complete stay off the grid. Pay in cash, no use of CC or anything. Even still, all your govt. and medical records are on servers and are hackable (Social Security, DOB, DL #, etc.).

It sucks, sometimes I wish I can go back in time. All this cyber crud is nice, but when I think of security and my privacy, it freaks me out.
I wish I could go back in time also. Everyone thinks this is so much easier and it's not. I used to be able to call a business on the phone and get a person right away. Now you might have to go through many people in different states to finally contact a store in the same city you live in. It would be quicker to just run over there and ask a person in person. At least then they would have to answer you 😜or not 🤔. I've been told by my credit card company that I'm smart. I had a good laugh about that one because I'm not. It's like putting a person in the terrible two's on the internet. However, I've never been hacked either. So far. The truth about that is, the companies I've dealt with protected me. When I finally applied for a Lowe's credit card just for a discount, I found out that supposedly I had applied a bunch of times but had been denied. That was news to me. I had to wait for the card but they gave me the discount 😉 I do have a Lowe's card though and they kinda know my shopping habits. Same with my bank. If I pay a different way I get a letter in the mail asking if it was me. I don't have a lot of money invested in any of them so it's not about money. It's about their integrity and safeguards for their customers.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It's like putting a person in the terrible two's on the internet.
LOL

I also have felt that some firms are much more customer friendly than others...discover, paypal.....am I missing any? LOL The list shrinks over time.

Don't get sad for the past, some of this stuff is funny as heck........but you're correct Eric, there's only so much we can do.

Background;
Occasionally some project will require some level of alphabet-training, like ATF, MIL, NSA. 1600 Penn, You take courses and pass tests, sometimes you will chat with someone.....then you get cleared. Early in my career, we used to do these things on paper, filled out forms......I've NEVER used my correct SS #, ever. I wrote a fake # on company clearance to 1600 penn and got worried when I met with the "interviewer" but they never bothered to check. I used the same fake # on forms ever since.

The ONLY folks that I ever get breech reports from, is....and I swear this is true.....

Homeland

................LMFAO

AmandaF

Congresbury
Please allow me to vent here. As I often do. And maybe I can save someone some disappointment in the process.

I've been a loyal customer of WELLS FARO Bank and it's affiliates previously for almost 40 years. I stayed with them through those buyouts and name changes. More recently I stayed by them when they got caught defrauding their customers, etc.
So what happened last Monday left me in complete disbelief!
Sunday evening. I had placed three bills with checks inside into a steel, blue USPS mail box. Some time during the evening, some SCUMBAG "fished" out one of the envelopes, changed the name and the amount on the check and attempted to cash it at a Wells Fargo bank in Lake Worth. About an hours drive to the north.
(Very fast)
The bank teller called me and told me that she suspected fraud and I confirmed it. But the lady and my check had left the bank with no money.
I made a police report and froze that account. (There was clear video of the thief since she had entered the bank and walked up to the teller.)
The detective from the Lake Worth sherrifs office went to the bank the next day. And Wells Fargo would not cooperate. They would not allow the helpful teller to speak to the police and then the manager demanded a subpoena.
All calls to Wells Fargo from me have been more or less ignored. No one has "gotten back to me".
Wells Fargos policy sides with the criminal. Not the customer. A victim of a crime. This bank that stole from customers is now choosing to not assist in the prosecution of someone attempting to steal from its loyal customers.
This has been extremely disappointing and I'm very mad.
I'll be doing my banking elsewhere.

And yes. I've also reported the issue to the postal inspector and will be making many security upgrades to how I pay future bills from my new accounts.
I’m so sorry this has happened to you. That is awful.
🤗🤗