C. Flavomarginata

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
So I think about this species. I will buy two animals. Is there anyone who has experience in this species and can tell me something about the enclosure food etc?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
juli11 said:
So I think about this species. I will buy two animals. Is there anyone who has experience in this species and can tell me something about the enclosure food etc?

Only thing I know is: This is a very expensive turtles, or two, very expensive turtles.

Wish you the best luck!!!!!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
No not here :-D 80€ per head..

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes I know because of this low price I will buy two heads. But are they so rare in the US?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I keep a group of five of them. Great turtles. They eat like tanks, are as active as any turtle I've ever kept, and when small, they can be kept in water or terrestrial setups. Your preference. They pretty much eat anything. I feed my small juveniles a variety of pellets, freeze dried shrimp, fresh shrimp, guppies, earthworms, squash, greens, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and melon. They have NEVER refused any food item I have ever offered them. I choose to keep mine in an aquatic set up for the time being, where the humidity is thus not an issue, since winters here can be rather dry.

They are so hardy and personable that they have me in love with the Cuora genus.

They are not too expensive here in the US. They have been bred a ton here and are pretty readily available. Cuora amboinensis is the only species in the genus that is more available here, since they are still imported so often.

Here is a link to a couple videos of my animals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOk7HOGwHEw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRg-eSbZGI

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Okay thanks for the answer. I also buy them because they eat everything and be so active! Do you breed them too?
And can you post picture of the hole enclosure? I hope I can prepare my new enclosure tomorrow I will play pictures!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Here is a photo of the inside of their enclosure. There is roughly 4 centimeters of water in the enclosure, with many resting spots. They are kept in a concrete mixing tub that is 2x3 feet. The second photo shows the rack system I built for three enclosures of the same size. They are in the middle tub.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Okay thanks for sharing. I hope I can build my enclosure in the bevy hours. I have to look which boxes the supermarket has. I will share pics.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
So I got everything I need for build the new enclosure. But I called the guy and he said the cuoras finished their hibernation 4 days ago so he doesn't want to sell them yet and I have to wait 2 weeks -.- so at the 8. February I will pick up them.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes thanks for the help! But I need to buy a new enclosure box...
I bought 0,5kg earthworms and put them in a box without cap. So I'm the lucky man found ca. 100 worms in the next day in my room every where!!! The new cuora enclosure has a cap and I need it now for the earthworms :-(. But I will keep you inform when everything is ready!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Update: Unfortunately I can't buy my new flavos... Unexpected I get a info that some studebook animals are available now. And I'm waiting for a really long time for these animals. So I have to buy these 2 tortoise first.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Too bad. Hopefully you will be able to get some. Luckily, they don't seem to be getting any rarer in captivity. Many people are having success breeding them. Hopefully that will help you get yours soon.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes. In Europe they very often available. And the guy from who I would buy these twos get the next hatchlings in the sommer. So I will buy cuora flavomarginata 100%. It's only the question when.. I will let you know maybe in march :)