CA Wood Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
According to Petco, this is a Central American wood turtle.

I think he looks like a Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima, any guesses what subspecies?

Male or female? So far he/she doesn't want to be soaked and is incredibly happy to be out of the shop and into the yard.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Very nice tort!! Any chance of a top picture of the shell, it looks gorgeous

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Here is a top pic of him revving up in the sun this morning:

So far he hates the water, jumps out as soon as I put him in his pond and panics if I stick him in something he can't escape. He hasn't shown any interest in food, and has spent his outside time charging around at top speed. No idea where he's going, but he's headed there in a big hurry. Maybe he's making up for the time he spent in a tiny cage at the pet store?

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Who could blame him for wanting to stretch his legs!! I love that shell!!!!! Also the nice oval body shape is very appealing.

Feel free to continue to take lots of pictures :D :p

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
He was supposed to be going to someone in town, but a photographer friend is dying to take a bunch of pictures of him first so he's here for the week.

I had read that they like water, and burrowing, so I put him out there with a big shallow dish and showed him the piles of dead leaves full of earthworms. I did not expect him to spend the day galloping along 80' of fenceline. Wonder how busy they are in the wild?

Jd3

5 Year Member
Mine loves water but always exits if I put him in. He will spend 8 hours in it when he goes in though.

He will actually go in water to the top of his shell and float very often.

He is much more active than box turtles I've had. He LOVES worms, and meal worms. Grapes are his favorite treat but be basically eats whatever you put In there....

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
It's raining today so we're all inside. He's still insisting on cruising around nonstop, so I've turned him loose here in my office. Dude needs a hamster wheel or something.

5ligJCyl.jpg

So far he has refused all fresh food and bugs I've offered, but he loved the moistened Reptomin sticks. He still hates being soaked but does know how to drink from a little bowl. He left a nice healthy-looking poo in his tub before I let him out, so my floors are probably safe for now. He sure is an interesting guy.

MechanicMatt

5 Year Member
The petco near me has 2 of these guys for sale too! I'd love to bring one home, but no room for another tort right now, and that's the first i've seen of these too. No idea on care, so I wouldn't wanna get one and then screw up! Love their shells though

Jd3

5 Year Member
The 15ish year old one I have was bought in a petco that long ago. The petco here always has them this time of year. Usually look to be about a year or so old. I'm sure all are wild caught.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
She's/he's sooo beautiful! Sorry, I don't know which subspecies it is... If it is a ca wood turtle, you should check caherps.com it is a herpetology website with a list of all the reptile and amphibian species in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.