caboose has soft stools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyla

5 Year Member
Today my redfoot baby had really watery pop. About a week ago I noticed it was softer than usual but not consistently. Sometimes its normal so im not sure what might be causing this. Any ideas?

The past week he's eaten kale, collard greens, dandelion, chicory, endive, and a little bit of hibiscus.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, but.... You can take a stool sample to the vet and have it looked at microscopically. Sometimes it's just a little intestinal upset, or it could be a small population of intestinal parasites. The vet performing a fecal test will help rule that out.

-Matt

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Don't sweat a one-time occurrence. If it keeps happening, let us know and we will try to help.

Skyla

5 Year Member
Ok. He's my first tortoise so naturally im going to be a worry wort.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Most captive/indoor torts tend to have chronic loose stools from the diet. I'd almost expect it with what you feed. The stools can really vary with the difference in diet week to week though. I'd do regular (every 6-12 month) parasite tests and not worry about it...just do the best you can with the diet quality and variety. My torts stools vary all the time...sometimes annoyingly he'll drag his butt all over the enclosure with the loose stuff! Other times it looks like wild animal poop with all the roughage and stuff.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what is the diet? did you feed something different a few days prior?
you can always add canned pumpkin, No spice type.. to give extra fiber
and help firm up.

Skyla

5 Year Member
I put what he's been eating the past week in my original post. Ill try the pumpkin and keep it on hand. :) thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.