Runny stools

Status
Not open for further replies.

TillyTianasMummy

5 Year Member
Hi there. My Leo Tilly has had extremely runny stools for the past week or so, it is pure brown liquid with a foul smell. I have also noticed she is constantly hunting for food (more than usual) and even resorting to eating the substrate in her vivarium, she seems to be constantly hungry even though we feed her twice daily as we always have. The substrate we use is wood chip pings as we always have and she has never ever eaten them before, they are coming out in her stools and seem to be very uncomfortable to pass as you can imagine. Do any of you think it could be worms that she has? Or can they only catch from another species they are housed with? Any advice would be helpful I'm so worried about her she doesn't seem like herself
Thankss
Kirsty

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea, UK
I think it definitely sounds like it could be worms or some sort of parasite, does she get outside or fed weeds from outdoors? I think you should definitely get a stool sample screened by a vet.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hello Kirsty, are you saying that she IS pooping out some of the woods chips? If so, I would get her off of that immediately. What foods are you feeding her? I would take a stool to the vet and have a fecal done, rule out the obvious first. Otherwise you could be doing alot of what ifs, I know I have in the last 3 months! JMO :D

TillyTianasMummy

5 Year Member
I thought that too. She doesn't go outside or get fed anything from outside as we live in Yorkshire and is far too cold here for her to go outside before summer. The nearest vet is really far away from where we live, do you think I should call them and see what they think? Would I just be able to take a stool sample or would I need to take her with me to be examined? Thanks for your advice.

Torty Mom said:
Hello Kirsty, are you saying that she IS pooping out some of the woods chips? If so, I would get her off of that immediately. What foods are you feeding her? I would take a stool to the vet and have a fecal done, rule out the obvious first. Otherwise you could be doing alot of what ifs, I know I have in the last 3 months! JMO :D

Yes we have noticed in the last few days that she has the chips in her stools, today I caught her eating them from the bottom of her viv. We are going to change her substrate tomorrow and I'll call the vet on Monday when they are open and see what they suggest. Would I be able to see the parasites in the stools or not?
Kirsty

Torty Mom said:

Sorry, we feed her mainly greens (kale, watercress, Brussel tops etc.) and every other day we add in a bit of tortoise complete food and fruit or lettuce as an occasional treat. Her stools have never been firm but they have never been anywhere near as runny as this week. I think I a trip to the vet is definitely in order

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Yes, take her with you to the vet. Liquid fouler-than-usual smelling poo could be an idication of bacterial imbalance or a bacterial infection.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Kirsty, you may be able to see them with a magnifying glass. I would get her off those chips right away. You really don't want her eating anymore than what she already has. Put her on a towel or something. Those chips could impact her and a host of other issues could pop up. I am glad you are calling the vet on Monday. I hope the little one is feeling better soon!

Neddy

5 Year Member
Hi Kirsty

I would recommend a trip to the vet so they can make sure it is worms and not anything else.

Try 50% topsoil and 50% sand for a substrate, and a piece of slate to feed on so they dont eat it (and trim the beak all in one go).

I would say that this could also be due to a lack of fibre in the diet, I dont know what your feeding so thought I would mention it :)

Hope this helps :) xx

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with a trip to the vet. Has she had a change in her diet/your normal feeding? Any fruit? I know that alfalfa is supposed to help with runny stools, but am not in any way stating that alfalfa would clear it up. You could try some until you get to the vet, since your tort seems to be eating everything around her.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
You do NOT need a trip to the vet. Simply take a stool sample to the vet. You can get the results without being charged $50-$100 for an office visit, $50+ for an exam, etc.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Sorry Shelly, but that is horrible advice and it's not because I'm a veterinarian.

Tort.....smellier poo than normal.........diarrhea or just loose stools. How do you determine if there is a fluid deficit (dehydration) without seeing the animal? What about a check of the vent..any blood tinge or crusty build-up, what about respiration..normal or not? Many things can be determined by the visit and telling them NOT to have the animal checked is doing them a dis-service.

My advice: bring a fresh-as-possible stool sample with you AND the tort. Diarrhea is a symptom of a problem and unfortunately it is a symptom of MANY different problems, many of them having NOTHING to do with to bugs in a stool sample.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know my vet can get a good fecal sample from the tortoise when I do take him or her by swabbing and looks under the scope. Perhaps you could call your vet and see if they recommend you bring one in or just come in and they can swab from there. How long has their been runny stools?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am no expert but everyone including our vet said not to give our Leo fruit. Could it be the fruit?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
Sorry Shelly, but that is horrible advice and it's not because I'm a veterinarian.

Tort.....smellier poo than normal.........diarrhea or just loose stools. How do you determine if there is a fluid deficit (dehydration) without seeing the animal? What about a check of the vent..any blood tinge or crusty build-up, what about respiration..normal or not? Many things can be determined by the visit and telling them NOT to have the animal checked is doing them a dis-service.

My advice: bring a fresh-as-possible stool sample with you AND the tort. Diarrhea is a symptom of a problem and unfortunately it is a symptom of MANY different problems, many of them having NOTHING to do with to bugs in a stool sample.

Yes, but if it IS bugs in the stool, it can be determined through a simple fecal exam, and nothing else. If the fecal is negative, then a trip to vet would be in order, I agree. But unless you have money to burn, the initial fecal would be the way to go.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Shelly said:
exoticsdr said:

Yes, but if it IS bugs in the stool, it can be determined through a simple fecal exam, and nothing else. If the fecal is negative, then a trip to vet would be in order, I agree. But unless you have money to burn, the initial fecal would be the way to go.

OK....I hope it's just bugs.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
exoticsdr said:
Shelly said:
exoticsdr said:

OK....I hope it's just bugs.

The OP stated that her trip to the vet is a long one. I would hope she'd have the tort along so that if a fecal didn't show anything, she wouldn't have to repeat the trip. I had a 140 mile round trip to see a vet when I lived in MT and had problems with false negatives on those fecals. Always would have saved time and trouble to just take the animals in.

TillyTianasMummy

5 Year Member
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been able to update you about the situation been soo busy! All is fine and well we have introduced more fibre into Tillys diet and for the past 2 days she has had firm poo! I'm so pleased and grateful for all your advice but I rang the vet with an update and he seems pleased with my findings and says there is no need for a stool sample it was simply the lack of fibre in her diet and maybe the fruit I fed her the previous day as we don't usually do so. I changed her substrate also and as far as I have seen she is no longer eating it :). I wish I could post some photos as she looks happier than ever today but they seem to be too big to upload. Thanks again for all your advice I really appreciate every single piece of it

Love Kirsty && a very happy Tilly x

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
So glad to hear and it's that's true...more fiber =normal feces and fruit can throw off their system, depending on how sensitive they are. Some people give as a once in a while treat and they do fine, others will have it once and their will be a change in using the bathroom. Well, it's always nice when just a little fiber does the job and the vet bill isn't required.

TillyTianasMummy

5 Year Member
Isn't it!! I cant tell you how happy I am that the little ones all healthy, I worry so much. Thanks for your help Christy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.