CACTUS HELP-WHAT TO DO NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I have 11 mature spineless cactus pads I planted. They all now have at least two new pads growing that are growing well and a few more spuds poking through. I live in Chicago and want them to survive my zone 5 winters, they are suppose to be able to. I also want them to grow pretty big and plentiful. I have never grown this kind before. Don't know anything about them. Did I make a big mistake planting so many, am I going to be badly invade by giant plants, assuming of course they do survive my winters. Also, how do I take a pad off, with knife or just bend a brake off. Will more grow back where the one is taken off. Any help, if would be greatly appreciated. BTW, my little Tatum doesn't eat much of it:( yet.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Do you know what type they are ? Some spread along the ground and some grow tall like a bush, as for removing the pad either way is fine, you can also just cut part of a pad and leave the rest to grow new pads, every dot on a pad can produce a new pad or flower, When I get a new type and not sure of it's hardiness and how much moisture it can stand in freezing weather, I will leave some out and dig some up and store in the garage for the winter, that way I have a better chance of figuring out what it needs to survive the winter if the outside plants turn to mush. Good Luck with yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a sharp knife to cut off pads. A new one will not grow in that exact spot, but one could start right next to that spot. For young small tortoises I prefer to feed those tender young pads. Some people have luck with finely chopping it up and mixing it with greens. It makes a slimely mess when I do that. I just put whole pads in there, and mine seem to like to nibble from the edges.

Sorry I cant help you with any of that zone 5 winter stuff... If you want to move to CA, I'd be glad to help you carry your furniture into your new house. :) And then I could tell you all about what your cactus will do out here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.