Cactus presentation poll

How does your tort(s) like their cactus?

• Whole

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • chopped up

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • by the ton

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Funny note...took my kids to their grandparents last week and their house sits on a hillside...Rowland Heights, CA to be precise...so those of you from the area know what I mean. Anyway, my mother-in-law told me I could take some aloe vera from the bottom of the hill. I've never been down the hill...so I didn't know what to expect! I found the aloe all right...over 500 square feet of continuous vine growing off the side of the hill. What I saw about 50 feet down really blew me away. At least 6 giant opuntia trees...well over 8 feet tall...and some of the pads over 24 inches long and 12 inches wide...EUREKA! I chopped a few to plant at home...and feed the menagerie...the one in the picture with Aladar was one of the small ones. I'll photo the big ones once I plant them...just waiting for them to callous! I'm pretty sure it's Opunitia robusta monstrosa...the same ssp Tyler sells!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Aladar was just trying to let you know, that leaf was too nice to feed and should have been use as a starter plant. :D None of mine like them a lot no matter how they are chopped, sliced, diced, or served up. Good thing because my black thumb has struck again. :(

River14

5 Year Member
I slice a thin slice off a leaf (0.5 cm) on my pot plant and they loved that. Recently however they dont bother with it. Aloe Vera they wont even take a nibble. Radicchio is their prefered juicy, wont touch much else except growing grass. Mazuri is completely repugnant to my stars.....how can I make it more lovely dye it red?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
River14 said:
I slice a thin slice off a leaf (0.5 cm) on my pot plant and they loved that. Recently however they dont bother with it. Aloe Vera they wont even take a nibble. Radicchio is their prefered juicy, wont touch much else except growing grass. Mazuri is completely repugnant to my stars.....how can I make it more lovely dye it red?

Try mixing in a bit of red food dye...tried that once on Mazuri, while waiting for the Marion to arrive, and it worked.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
River14 said:

The dye it red part cracks me up! My leopard goes nuts and runs towards anything red lol. As far as the cactus, when I first introduced it I would chop it up in teeny pieces but now i tear a chunk off and smash it with a knife. He likes to nibble bites off better than the cactus mush.

Status
Not open for further replies.