Cactus presentation poll

How does your tort(s) like their cactus?

• Whole

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • chopped up

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • by the ton

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
How does your tortoise(s) prefer their cactus offered to them?

My gurlz are not particular at all, but my male prefers to eat it mixed w/ soaked Red Sticks, chopped up into 1 cm X 1 dcm (approx.) chunks...only very recently has he considered cactus alone, but even then it has to be in very small pieces.

Yours?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My male likes to have it hand feed to him either the large pad or cut into small pieces. He will eat it by himself but really goes after it when it hand fed.

My little ones like it when it's cut up real small and easy to eat, they will ignore the bigger pieces...

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i give opuntia whole but i also use a cactus thats flat and smaller than most cactus i see fed on here,i have a flat long variety that i dont see on here,i use this kind becus its more tender and easily eaten by my smaller torts,its still opuntia jus not big hard pads,ive been using this kind since ive had my torts.i havent seen my variety to many other places.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Same here, I almost have to turn it into a paste before the hatchlings will eat it. They'll nibble occasionally at the bigger pieces, but I think it might be too tough for them otherwise.

My Russian will eat it whole from my hand or off the ground. I've never really offered it cut up to her.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
October said:
Same here, I almost have to turn it into a paste before the hatchlings will eat it. They'll nibble occasionally at the bigger pieces, but I think it might be too tough for them otherwise.

My Russian will eat it whole from my hand or off the ground. I've never really offered it cut up to her.

That's the way The Gurlz are...a whole pad is fine, and two is better, as they each just find a spot and start chomping away...

Ptolemy, otoh, is very particular (or very spoiled)...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I voted 'chopped up' because the four youngsters get it that way...Aladar gets whole pads...but check this out! His majesty (sorry Bob) will shun cactus a lot of the time...my wife says that I've spoiled him so much that he expects me to lay out a presentation...don't believe me? Look for yourself!

ng6iqx.jpg

I even tried to tempt him with red trumpets...
2rw4v3d.jpg

...and, of course, he ate the flowers
11qrc3n.jpg

and yet the cactus sat untouched...even when I filled the cones with Mazuri! Spolied rotten!
2emea0m.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
wow Dean ~ he is beautiful!
RV eats her's whole and if I had enough of the stuff, would probably eat it by the ton.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
DeanS said:
I voted 'chopped up' because the four youngsters get it that way...Aladar gets whole pads...but check this out! His majesty (sorry Bob) will shun cactus a lot of the time...my wife says that I've spoiled him so much that he expects me to lay out a presentation...don't believe me? Look for yourself!

ng6iqx.jpg

2rw4v3d.jpg

11qrc3n.jpg

and yet the cactus sat untouched...even when I filled the cones with Mazuri! Spolied rotten!
2emea0m.jpg

Thats too funny, got to make it look nicer Dean!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Whole for my big girl and chopped up for the baby.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry, I think you should have had a both options. I feed it both ways depending on the tortoise...:p:p

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Not at all for my 2 greeks. They will eat a bit if it's mixed in with other things, but if i set a little pile of it in their enclosure, it's still there when I get back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed it whole to everybody. I just use the smaller, softer pads for the babies.

Rynke-mor

5 Year Member
DeanS said:

ng6iqx.jpg

2rw4v3d.jpg

11qrc3n.jpg

2emea0m.jpg

:)

What a beautifull turtle.

Here in Denmark we have not any cactus growing - but I would like some latin names of them - maybe I can buy cactus then for my leopards.

Thank you.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
Terry, I think you should have had a both options. I feed it both ways depending on the tortoise...:p:p

Agreed...meant for it to be a multiple choice poll...my bad!

OTOH, I did offer a option for the sulcata/Aldabra/Galapagos owners... :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
dalano73 said:

Agreed...meant for it to be a multiple choice poll...my bad!

OTOH, I did offer a option for the sulcata/Aldabra/Galapagos owners... :p

I figured that what the "by the ton" was but I already made a choice...:p:p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Rynke-mor said:
DeanS said:

ng6iqx.jpg

2rw4v3d.jpg

11qrc3n.jpg

2emea0m.jpg

:)

What a beautifull turtle.

Here in Denmark we have not any cactus growing - but I would like some latin names of them - maybe I can buy cactus then for my leopards.

Thank you.

Got quite a crop of spineless opuntia (not sure what species/hybrid I have), but it grows fast...be happy to send you a few pads, if Denmark has no laws against the importation (definitely check the law!)...once you recieve 'em, plant them about 1/3 of the way in potting soil, water one time only (very important) until you see new growth, and then just stand back!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We provide whole pads to large tortoises and chop it for small tortoises.

:tort: Beautiful pictures/tortoise DeanS.

Status
Not open for further replies.