Cactus question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have two cactus pads I want to have root. 1. Can I use vermiculite to plant it? 2. Do I need to cut the bottom or just stick it in and let it grow??

Appreciate any advice.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
These are the instructions we used when planting our cactus cuttings. We did not use vermiculite since that can hold water, and make the cactus rot. These instructions worked for us. You can buy a small bag of cactus potting mix at places like Home Depot and Lowes in the garden center. It is available year-round. That takes the guess work out of it.

http://www.dbg.org/index.php/gardening/growingguides/ground/rooting

Here is a picture a few months after planting. Its a bit bigger now and we are keeping it indoors this winter since we live in the north.

20080926_1203.jpg

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
Hey i cant find any place that sells those cactus plants, can they eat any kind of cactus cuz we have one small cactus and i don't know what kind it is and i have heard cactus is really good for torts, so i wanted to try it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
krissy2288 said:
Hey i cant find any place that sells those cactus plants, can they eat any kind of cactus cuz we have one small cactus and i don't know what kind it is and i have heard cactus is really good for torts, so i wanted to try it.

I would not feed just "any" cactus. There is no telling if it contains harmful toxins unless you know exactly what it is. For example, zygo cactus is very toxic.

tandrreptiles sells cactus both for food and for planting. I believe they have an ad in the classifieds section, and shipping is free. I feel that the prices are very reasonable.

http://www.tandrreptiles.webs.com/

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kyryah said:
I would not feed just "any" cactus. There is no telling if it contains harmful toxins unless you know exactly what it is. For example, zygo cactus is very toxic.
Kristina

I know there are differing opinions all over the web, but I can find no where that states Christmas cactus (zygo) is toxic. I found this excerpt:

"CHRISTMAS CACTUS: The DPIC has found no evidence that either of the two varieties of this plant is toxic. One source was found stating that the plant had been eaten without harm."

Most all succulents and cacti are ok for tortoises to eat. The Euphorbia family has a white sap that causes burns and rashes on human skin, however tortoises eat it with seemingly no problems. But you are right to caution folks about feeding just anything to the tortoise.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You are right about differing opinions, and I caution about that on my website where I list non-toxic plants, because I have seen where on one site something is listed as safe and on another listed as toxic...

I could have swore that I read that zygo was harmful, maybe it was a mistake on my part or a mistake by the author of what I read... Thanks for the heads up, I will be doing more research.

Kristina

Well, you appear to be correct. I found two sites listing Christmas cactus as food for torts.

http://www.russiantortoise.org/edible_plants.htm
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_plants.htm

I stand corrected, and thank you!

Kristina

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you get a pad, cut it in half, allow the cut end to dry or 'callous' and plant it. well drained soil is best. it will start growing in no time!
i have seen it sold in grocery stores, farmers markets, mexican deli type stores.If you see some in a persons yard, just ask if you can have one pad. It can be prolific.
Or order it online, or find someone willing and able to send you one. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I was able to find cactus pads in two grocery stores around me...it's surprising what things stores have once you look closely (I also finally found dandelion greens today). I've also heard good results looking at the Mexican type shops.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
nope, I dont

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, not me either, it says they have been moved or deleted.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
could cactus be part of a tortoise's diet or just a treat occasionally? ive been thinking about getting some cactus pads for my sulcatas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jobeanator said:
could cactus be part of a tortoise's diet or just a treat occasionally? ive been thinking about getting some cactus pads for my sulcatas

Its a good source of fiber, but a steady diet will cause loose stools. Its not always available in my grocery store, but when it is, I feed it often and sometimes every day...along with other greens and veggies.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
krissy2288 said:
hmmm, they should...does anybody else see them?

Krissy: When you first posted them I saw them, but then the next time I logged on instead of photos its a square with the words: The image has been moved or deleted - Photobucket

Did you move some of the pix around in your Photobucket account?

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort likes a little piece of cactus every day (I think he'd eat eat almost as much as I'd let him but I haven't done that yet--he'll go for it first). I bought one pad at the store, and it's been doing well and shows almost no signs of going bad after a couple weeks I believe. It's going to take my hatchling a really long time to finish it but it was under $1 so I don't care...when he ate a little much of it one day he had the loose stool but no problems for him as maybe 20% of his diet lately. I took the tiny spines out with a knife and cut it up into slivers that were manageable for him. I'm surprised how well it's kept in the fridge (just cut the bottom of it off if it's a little brown) and supposedly its even better to keep it out and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.