calcium and/or D3 help needed

e79

5 Year Member
I think this might be the final (at least I hope it is, lol) point of confusion for me in this whole quest for an RT thing, lol. I'm trying to figure out if I need to supplement with calcium or with calcium +D3...or with just D3...or leaving it to a varied diet with a cuttlebone in the enclosure. Bonus points for links of actual items and instructions so I know what I'm looking for!

I need to find out what he's currently getting...

I'm in northern MN so he'll only be getting outdoor sunlight in the summer months.

Please and thank you :)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I prefer using the calcium with D3 once a week, and I have a cuttle bone in the enclosure. When the tortoise is outside a lot, he/she won't need the D3 supplement.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Your getting an adult male, so this is not as much of a woory type item. Hatchlings are where this really really is a worry. Females too with using for eggs. Adult males come in last on the worry scale. The D3 is not going to hurt if you have, nor kill if you don't. I would lean towards D3 with him being inside for so long. Your also going to be getting some calcium in him from the food he eats. Just remember, no matter how much calcium you put into him, unless he gets UVB light or sunlight, he can't use it. Once more, much more critical when your talking a hatchling.