Calcium Block + another question

SophiaKim

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've been trying to get Opie to use the Zoo Med Calcium Block in his enclosure but he just walks on top of it. I've tried to lure him into maybe biting it a little bit using food, but he wont take a single bite. Should I get the powdered ones to sprinkle on his food, or maybe cuttlebone? I'm not really sure what to do.

And on a totally different note, he's been sleeping a lot lately. I don't see him awake and walking around much and when he does, he dozes off. I think it's because there's not really much to do in his enclosure. There are a few rocks and a half log he can cool down in. I've been meaning to get some toys for him to play with, or something to keep him entertained and active. He's only a few months old (give or take) and I'm not sure if that's normal for a young tortoise, like how babies sleep a lot, or if I could do something to help him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen any tortoise use those calcium blocks. Use a tiny pinch of calcium powder twice a week. I like the RepCal or ZooMed stuff. Also leave a cuttle bone in there. Does he get sunshine a few times a week? What UV source do you have inside?

About the activity level: We need to know more. What are the four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to maintain those temps and lighting? What was the source of your tortoise?

SophiaKim

Texas
Yes, I try to take him outside for 30-60 minutes every few days and I use a Zoo Med 100w Powersun Mercury Vapor Bulb. As for the temperature, warm side: mid 90s, cool side + under the log: 84-87, basking area: 97+, overnight temp: 70 - low 80s . And I bought a basking lamp in the beginning but the mvp alone was enough so I didn't use it. I got my sulcata from Tortoise Supply.

NataliaTG

Mexico
My tortoises don't like calcium blocks either... But from time to time I offer them some calcium powder with a little spoon and they actually like it :)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I use a cuttle bone. She never eats it unless she needs it, I just like to keep it in there. Easy and cheap.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've had torts for 17 years and mine don't know what a calcium block or a cuddle bone is ! I run egg shells through a coffee grinder till its a powder and I give the powder to my torts that 2-3 times a week .