calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga007

5 Year Member
hello everyone. i am new to this forum and to owning a redfoot. i currently have my redfoot in an aquarium tank and need to know what the best thing to do is to keep humidity in there and what kind of cover to put on it. also, how often am i suppose to give her calcium? i thought it was suppose to be everyday, but someone told me only once a week.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Moss (sphagnum) and misting with a spray bottle = humidity. Calcium can come in vitamin powder form dusted on veggies/fruit however often the product recommends (maybe slightly less often because they just want you to use it up and buy more?)?

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I use a cuttlebone as well as calcium powder sprinkled on our redfoots food.
The cuttlebone I leave in the enclosure and the torts
munch on it periodically.
When using the calcium powder, just a tiny pinch will do.
We also use herptivite.

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
tortuga007 said:
hello everyone. i am new to this forum and to owning a redfoot. i currently have my redfoot in an aquarium tank and need to know what the best thing to do is to keep humidity in there and what kind of cover to put on it. also, how often am i suppose to give her calcium? i thought it was suppose to be everyday, but someone told me only once a week.

I've had two greeks for near six years. I keep a cuttle bone in all their enclosures, so they have access whenever they please. I don't know fedfoots so no input on the humidity requirements. Have fun Stan

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
In aquarium, you can cover 1/3 of the top to keep humidity up,but you make sure there is some air flow.
Someone on the forum uses live plants in her tank, her name is TerryO. By watering the plants it creates a humid environment.
Snoop around the Redfoot threads and you'll be suprised how much you'll learn!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Try http://www.redfoots.com for a good basic starter plan.

Humidity is a function of moisture and warmth. For the most part, your tortoise does not care how it was formed, as long as it is about 60% or so in general, and almost 100% at least in the hide.

A couple of notes about humidity:
- Avoid a wet surface that the torts would rest on. This will lead to a form of shell rot.
- Sprayers, ultrasonic misters, and similar systems make a chilly mist, we want warmth.

Depending on your substrate, heating, etc. you have many options.
- Wood chips or mulch can work nicely by just pouring some warm water in the tank and wetting the bottom of the tank. If everything is nice and warm, it will vaporize upwards and make humidity as it rises.
- Also, if everything is nice and warm, you can use long-fibered sphagnum moss and lightly mist it and stir, repeat until it is slightly damp. Again, warmth will cause vaporization.
- Both the the above ideas can be used in a cooler room by using an undertank warming pad
- Make a humid hide by sewing some long-fibered sphagnum moss in a cloth bag. Soak the bag in warm water and hang in the warm hide area.
- Install an undergravel filter system and either shorten the risers to just a few inches above the substrate or switch the air flow so it goes under the tank and up through the substrate. The air moving though the dampened substrate will humidify the air. Keep things warm!

You can cover part of the habitat with pretty much anything. Try to not cover more than about 1/2 of it to provide plenty of fresh air. Saran wrap, plexiglass, cardboard... anything will work.

As for calcium... see the article I wrote here: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9752.html. The trick to using calcium powder is to keep it light- like you were using salt on your food when your doctor told you to cut back. If you use the powder lightly, AND your tortoise is well-hydrated and has enough vitamin D, then it is not supposed to be a problem.

It also sort of depends on the diet. If you are already offering a good calcium ratio- the powder is much less needed and can be used much less often. TurtleTary/Redfoot NERDs diet is good in calcium. so he only uses it weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.