Calling all PET SNAIL people

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Hey!

I thought we could share our snail set up's for inspiration. I can't wait to hear about your snail homes :)

I have one fake plant, a changing variety of safe plants from outside and a plant pot partially dug underground for shelter. I also have a log from outside to climb over and for decoration. During the summer I try to feed as many weeds as possible, in the winter Niilo gets the same grocery store diet as Edward. For substrate I have coco coir and of course cuttlebone always available. Currently I don't have any heating, since the whole room is a quite stable 25C during the summer.

I used to house Niilo and his sibling in a 40L plastic tub with a similar set up as now. But as Niilo has grown he is currently housed in a modified greenhouse (and probably will be for the rest of his life). This is the exact product ( https://www.clasohlson.com/fi/Minikasvihuone-ruukkukasveille/p/31-5913 ). It is a good size (77 cm x 40 cm x 38 cm inside the enclosure, or about 117 liters) and pretty aesthetic in my opinion. It is only available here in the Nordics, as far as I know, but I believe you will be able to find something similar. I found some with the search term "Mini greenhouse prpagator on legs".

I will try to take some photos later :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! That looks like an awesome home for them. Looking forward to the pictures later.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hey!

I thought we could share our snail set up's for inspiration. I can't wait to hear about your snail homes :)

I have one fake plant, a changing variety of safe plants from outside and a plant pot partially dug underground for shelter. I also have a log from outside to climb over and for decoration. During the summer I try to feed as many weeds as possible, in the winter Niilo gets the same grocery store diet as Edward. For substrate I have coco coir and of course cuttlebone always available. Currently I don't have any heating, since the whole room is a quite stable 25C during the summer.

I used to house Niilo and his sibling in a 40L plastic tub with a similar set up as now. But as Niilo has grown he is currently housed in a modified greenhouse (and probably will be for the rest of his life). This is the exact product ( https://www.clasohlson.com/fi/Minikasvihuone-ruukkukasveille/p/31-5913 ). It is a good size (77 cm x 40 cm x 38 cm inside the enclosure, or about 117 liters) and pretty aesthetic in my opinion. It is only available here in the Nordics, as far as I know, but I believe you will be able to find something similar. I found some with the search term "Mini greenhouse prpagator on legs".

I will try to take some photos later :)
I will definitely post some of Gary’s set up soon!!!!
I am wondering if snails like to be loners?
Or would he like a friend???
Scared to come home one day and his head is bitten off by a roommate!!!
Any suggestions???

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I will definitely post some of Gary’s set up soon!!!!
I am wondering if snails like to be loners?
Or would he like a friend???
Scared to come home one day and his head is bitten off by a roommate!!!
Any suggestions???
I am not sure about pairs, but as far as I can see around my garden, they gather in groups to mate, eat, drink and sleep. So pairs I think are a no no, especially since you can't (?) tell the gender? Are snails hermaphroditic?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yeah, snails don't have a gender in that sorts. Tammy is correct, they are hermaphroditic. Snails do well both in pairs or groups, but they have to be the same species and size. If there is a size difference, the smaller one might be injured or eaten, since eating children is normal for some snail species. Of course the downside of having multiple snails is that there will be breeding. Snails can breed multiple times thought the year, a calcium supply is very important for egg production. Of course having multiple snails comes with a higher risk of death, since there are many things that can go wrong with reproduction, especially the egg carrying snail is at risk of death (though I don't know how high that risk is).

Having multiple snails will bring enrichment to the snails and make their life more natural. There are some studies showing that during dry season snails will nestle together to maintain humidity. But the choice is yours, I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that housing snails alone is cruel.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Sorry for the lighting...

I finally ended up taking the pictures without the lid on the enclosure since I didn't want to flash my face on the internet for everyone to see 😅 You can also see the biggest pro and the con of this enclosure, the lid de-attaches pretty low and takes part of the walls with it. PRO: Easier to clean CON: Hard to open since you will have to flip the lid up side down if you don't wan't all the condensation dripping on whatever you place the lid on.

Attachments

• 20240529_190756.jpg
    20240529_190756.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240529_190811.jpg
    20240529_190811.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry for the lighting...

I finally ended up taking the pictures without the lid on the enclosure since I didn't want to flash my face on the internet for everyone to see 😅 You can also see the biggest pro and the con of this enclosure, the lid de-attaches pretty low and takes part of the walls with it. PRO: Easier to clean CON: Hard to open since you will have to flip the lid up side down if you don't wan't all the condensation dripping on whatever you place the lid on.
5 minutes of staring at the photo... and I've found the snail!