Colouring of shell

blancka

My sweet turtle Boy has always had a colour less shell compared to his brother. Which has a really pretty shell. But lately it is changing and Also the colouration of his face.
Edward the one with a New colour.DSC_0168.JPG and his face DSC_0170.JPG
Then his brother, still working on the shell issue. Not getting worse or better.
Brother Alphonse
DSC_0177.JPG and his face DSC_0179.JPG
I think we concluded they were too young to gender be concluded but we think both Are Boys

DSC_0168.JPG DSC_0177.JPG DSC_0170.JPG DSC_0179.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Male box turtles definitely get more colorful with age, especially their skin.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
One of my young male adult 3 toeds went from just a maroon head to now star burst orange mixing in. Amazing the changes from year to year in their first 10 years.

blancka

Eric just like the guy on your avatar? Cause i think my boy is slowly becoming more orange in his face and on his legs and his shell is getting coloured somewhat :) He might become a pretty boy :D

Still i dont know their ages at all. I should prolly try and figure it.

pclare

NJ
This is Floyd. He was a drab beige from head to toe at birth, so I thought mom was Frisky, my three-toed, but now that the dark brown coloring is coming out I can tell it was Martha, my Eastern.
What's really cool is that the coloring/patterns are really dark, but they look like they're trapped under ice and slowly rising to the surface.
20160708_124759.jpg
Here's a family portrait I took last summer. Sorry, I don't have any baby shots of Floyd on my phone for comparison, and everyone is very dusty in this pic. Martha/mom is a beautiful rich brown/black and Samson above her is a deep gold. You can see how much Floyd's skin coloring had changed in a year!
2016-07-19 15.51.54.png

pclare

NJ
Wow, that's quite a size difference! He's a determined lad ... but aren't they all! Samson (my avatar) would rather go after the girls than eat. I have to feed him separately to make sure the food isn't gone by the time he gets around to it -- and so the poor ladies can eat in peace.