Calling all RES lovers!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Was I surprized when Yvonne ( wife ) came back from her morning walk and brought me this slider - here on the "Cumberland Plateau" we have 'Cumberland Sliders" .. aka "Yellow-eared Slider" exactly as it sounds - and they have no red on the carapace either!. But the closer she got I noticed something.. this one has red!!!

Since it was a good sized female I asked her to put it in a tub that had only about 4" of rain water in it.. and I would check her for eggs later.

When I checked her.. she must have already laid her eggs - plus she was one that I'd not seen that big in awhile. I still was trying to figure - what was a P.s.elegans doing in a P.s.troosli neighborhood? It's also about 1500' above sea level where I was standing and rivers don't run UP!

Anywho here she is - the width of my left paw is at least 6.5"..

What a face huh?

I put her in a 5 gallon bucket that she barely fit in - the bottom is 10" - and took her to a vacant "lake-front" lot to release her.

Set her down in the grass...

As if to say.. "What are you going to do with me now?" ..

A RES on the Cumberland plateau in mid-east TN!!!

Hope you liked the show...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is a pretty one. Home she likes her new home. I just wonder though, if you should have kept her. Most likely someone's pet they just let go? Are they native to your area? I mean, I know they are pretty "native" to just about any place now that so many seem to have been release to the wild all over the place.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The Cumberland slider is really pretty similar to red eared sliders. The yellow stipe behind the eye usually has some orange or red in it. Some are quite hard to differentiate from red ears. The yellow bellied slider Trachemys scripta scripta is quite different it has a large irregular blotch that is yellow behind the eye, not just a stripe and it has an immaculate plastron. The troosti and elegans both have distinct blotches on each plastral scute

Anyway, nice, healthy looking turtle!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The Cumberland slider is really pretty similar to red eared sliders. The yellow stipe behind the eye usually has some orange or red in it. Some are quite hard to differentiate from red ears. The yellow bellied slider Trachemys scripta scripta is quite different it has a large irregular blotch that is yellow behind the eye, not just a stripe and it has an immaculate plastron. The troosti and elegans both have distinct blotches on each plastral scute

Anyway, nice, healthy looking turtle!!

Are you originally from mid-east TN Mark? I'm wondering because I've been catching/observing the Cumberland slider since 1981.. and have seen them in the Watts Bar lake/TN river waters from hatchlings to females so big that 2 of them could barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket placed tail down and belly-to-belly!

I just thought the red-ear slider lovers would like a few pics.. only. I wasn't trying to make any comparison or anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've taken some good pictures there, Terry. Lovely turtle. Hopefully she'll stay where you put her.