MBD???

lanalee

Location (City and/or State)
ga
I acquired a Cumberland slider in August 2020. I have had her now for 2 months. she was in a tank about 10 gallons with 20 other turtle hatchlings, she was very tiny, the size of a quarter. Her shell now is showing signs of what I believe to be metabolic bone disease? I'm not sure. She has a basking light and uVB light, Her water temperature stays between 78 and 80 (because shes still tiny) her basking temperature sits right about 88 to 90゚. she basks regularly she eats fantastically and I place a slow release calcium supplement in her water. What else should I be doing? Or is this something that happened before I got her?

20201012_123151.jpg20201012_123153.jpg20201012_165230.jpg20201012_165253.jpg20201012_165322.jpg20201012_165349.jpg20201012_183021.jpg20201012_183027.jpg20201012_183230.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks fine to me, going thru some good growth. You can save your money on the slow release calcium, that's completely unnecessary.

lanalee

ga
Looks fine to me, going thru some good growth. You can save your money on the slow release calcium, that's completely unnecessary.
Thank you sooo much!!! Someone had me terrified I had done something!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@lanalee - what makes you think there is MBD? What do you see? I don't see anything from the pictures that would indicate that. Your turtle looks fine. As @Toddrickfl1 said, there is nice new growth starting now. With an aquatic turtle, the first signs of calcium problems is an overly soft, pliable shell.

Aquatics do/should get a lot of their vitamin D through diet. What are you feeding the babies? I always like to get them eating a good pellet food with calcium and D3. My favorite for baby turtles is RepCal baby turtle formula pellets.

lanalee

ga
@lanalee - what makes you think there is MBD? What do you see? I don't see anything from the pictures that would indicate that. Your turtle looks fine. As @Toddrickfl1 said, there is nice new growth starting now. With an aquatic turtle, the first signs of calcium problems is an overly soft, pliable shell.

Aquatics do/should get a lot of their vitamin D through diet. What are you feeding the babies? I always like to get them eating a good pellet food with calcium and D3. My favorite for baby turtles is RepCal baby turtle formula pellets.
Someone on another turtle forum saw my pictures of her swimming and said she looked unhealthy and had the beginning of MBD. She has Everything she needs, happy, active. She eats turtle pellets, green sticks, dried shrimp and meal worms, crickest. Kale, romaine, parsley, shes an eater!
Thank you for your help.

lanalee

ga
Curious, I wasn't sure what she was, she was sold as a "pond turtle", i thought Cumberland, but now someone has suggested she is a Cooter. Any thoughts?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Curious, I wasn't sure what she was, she was sold as a "pond turtle", i thought Cumberland, but now someone has suggested she is a Cooter. Any thoughts?
No not a Cooter, definitely a slider imo. @Markw84 would be better at identifying it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have two Marks that are good with turtle ID. Post some clear pics of the carapace, plastron, and assorted other angles.

Then @Markw84 and @mark1 can take a look and share their thoughts.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
No not a Cooter, definitely a slider imo. @Markw84 would be better at identifying it.
I wish the pictures were more in focus and we had a picture of the plastron. The one you are holding is a cooter. Looks like a Pennisula Cooter. In the first pictures in the water, the small one below the other is a Cumberland Slider. The one on top a bit larger is a cooter.

Reactions: Tom