Calypso is digging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
with her back legs. She has been all morning, and I saw her do it once a day or two ago. We're trying to throw together a box for her... just in case... but her weight isn't up or anything, so I don't know of she's really digging a nest or not?!?!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
keep us posted if there are any eggs.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Wow Kelly wouldnt that be a nice New Years present!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Well yes and no! LOL Yes because DUDE eggs! And no because... TOTALLY NOT READY! LOL!

How long would she have been carrying them before she laid them? We only started doing her weight last month...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great news Kelly :D They usually take 30 days from mating to egg laying. Post pictures of your laying box when you get it done.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
i'll get pics of it tomorrow, lights are out for the night. if she's going to lay, how long will it take? i feel bad having her in the nesting box all alone. It's got abotu 8 inches of sand/bed a beast, and then a fake plant to hide under. basking on one side. thats about it for now because i had to make due with what i had on hand... she won't lay during the night will she? it'll get low 60's during the night...

now watch she'll just have been messing with my mind! ROFL!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No she won't lay at night. Alone is the best thing for her so the others won't disturb her. The plant is good, but add another hotspot.
Pack down the bedabeast and sand really good, that way the nest will hold together when she digs the nest. It usually takes an hour or 2 from start to finish, sometimes longer though.
Must be egg time of the year :rolleyes: I just had a Turkish greek lay her third clutch today, 2 eggs.
I hope Calypso lays tomorrow.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
dude she is digging like CRAZY today. she seems a little distressed by opening her mouth and squeaking a few times. now she's resting. i hope she lays them okay. we put some more substrate in because she was hitting the bottom of the box, so i hope we didn't discourage her by "messing" things up. there's no question now tho, i know she's TRYING!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How many inches do you have now Kelly? You won't disturb her much as she'll just start again tomorrow I'm sure. I've never had a Testudo lay after 12, so I think she's done trying for today.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
it wasn't as deep as I thought it was so we added more. i don't know how deep it is now, about 7 incehs I think! LOL! i might run out later and get some more sand for her... i guess the deeper the better, and the box she's in is 2 ft deep so there's plenty of room. she's still going at the nest... my son took a video of her digging down and i'm trying to upload it now!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
So she started again after you added more substrate? 7 inches should be a enough for her.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yep she did, took her many many laps around the enclosure, then she started up again! i don't have a water dish in there for her, should she have one?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No you don't need one. Her main focus is laying the eggs, so she will ignore water or food. She'll probably eat once she's back in her main enclosure. :D
I don't suppose you have an incubator set up?

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK help- Echo is digging too. I'm going on vacation on Friday and won't be back until Monday night
What to do, what to do??? and I don't have an incubator set up either.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Is the substrate deep enough for Echo to dig a nest Robyn? I would call around to feed stores in your area and see if anyone has Hovabator incubators in stock. Make sure you get the cheap model without the fan.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin

There's her digging video. She did eat a little this morning, actually. I just checked on her and she's just resting now, nothing laid. I don't have an incubator set up yet, Farm & Fleet was closed today but I will get out there tomorrow to get one, I'd rather buy something than make one 'cause I'm scared to do it wrong!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Okay first thing is you need is more organic material in your substrate. It's not holding together enough to make a proper nest. I use mostly peat for my laying boxes, with some soil mixed in. It needs to be on the damp side to hold together also. She also seems to be digging a pit first, so you should have close to 10 inches of substrate for her.

Danny[/b]

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Danny you’re so good and have so much patience with us new moms (or grandmas) to be.
I didn’t mean to steal your thread Kelly. Would it be better if I posted under Greek or is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.