digging a burrow

Nicole M

5 Year Member
It is an important distinction. Digging with front legs is not digging a nest - it's digging a burrow or trying to get out (too hot, too cold, feeling unsafe). Digging with only the back legs is nesting.
Interesting! Makes sense. I have a Russian that loves to burrow (always with the front end) and nap like that... I know they're big diggers, but could this be a sign that I'm keeping the tank too hot or cold? Initially I thought it might be an escape attempt, but now that I've added a higher level of substrate, she spends much less time burrowing (I'm thinking she spent more time before because it was harder to get the burrow to her liking because the substrate wasn't deep enough).

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Digging burrows can be for many reasons - temperature regulation being one of them. What are your high and low temperatures in the enclosure?

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Digging burrows can be for many reasons - temperature regulation being one of them. What are your high and low temperatures in the enclosure?
The coolest point is 75-80F, and the basking area generally stays between 90 and 95F.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your basking temperatures are a bit too cool, perhaps, but looking at your other posts - you've only recently acquired this tortoise, yes? If so, being in a new environment for a territorial animal is quite stressful. Burrowing and hiding is very natural. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Your basking temperatures are a bit too cool, perhaps, but looking at your other posts - you've only recently acquired this tortoise, yes? If so, being in a new environment for a territorial animal is quite stressful. Burrowing and hiding is very natural. I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Yep! Very new (to us) tortoise.

I'll work on the basking temps and see what she does in the next few weeks. :)

Kasia

Poland
Yep! Very new (to us) tortoise.

I'll work on the basking temps and see what she does in the next few weeks. :)
Do you have a proper hiding place for your tortie in it's enclosure? They like to snuggle for the night. Post a pic of the enclosure, that would help a lot to understand the behaviour. :)

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Do you have a proper hiding place for your tortie in it's enclosure? They like to snuggle for the night. Post a pic of the enclosure, that would help a lot to understand the behaviour. :)
She has a big half-log backed up against one of the walls. So it's enclosed on 3 sides (she can still turn around in it). From what I can tell, it's normal--she's spent a lot less time burrowing the past two days! More time basking and walking around, mostly burrowing when she's going to sleep. She prefers to dig in and sleep AGAINST the hide rather than in it, but she'll go in occasionally!

I doubled the amount of substrate in the enclosure, and that seemed to help a lot. I think she was reaching the bottom too quickly before, and that caused her to keep digging. Now she just digs for a little bit and then she's satisfied!

Kasia

Poland
If she feels comfy that way... :) Let her be... Maybe there's gold dug somewhere at the bottom and she's just trying to give you a hint :p:p

Nicole M

5 Year Member
If she feels comfy that way... :) Let her be... Maybe there's gold dug somewhere at the bottom and she's just trying to give you a hint :p:p
Hahaha, I bet there is! ;) Last night she must've been really tired from all her gold-hunting, because she just passed out without even bothering to burrow! Such a cutie <3 ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465728203.682039.jpg