Can a tort with mbd ever grow smooth?

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
New growth of course. Just wondering if my little guy "Baby" has any chance to have smooth new growth? Not sure his age. I was told 1 but the reptile store guy thought he was probably closer to 3 and stunted. I think so too. His features look "older" then my yearling.
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pyramiding that exists will never go away. MBD has nothing to do with smoothness.

If a pyramided tortoise with MBD gets into better conditions, yes, new growth can eventually come in smooth, but this will take a long time.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Pyramiding that exists will never go away. MBD has nothing to do with smoothness.

If a pyramided tortoise with MBD gets into better conditions, yes, new growth can eventually come in smooth, but this will take a long time.

Thanks Tom,
This little guy definitely has MBD, not
Just pyramiding, I just didn't know if the shell is so deformed it would never get any better. I know the current pyramiding is permanent. He has all the other deformities too with face, legs and claws all not normal. It's ok, he always looks like he has a smile on his face and he eats twice what any other tort I have eats. Happy guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When the skeleton is so demineralized that it malforms, it typically stays in its malformed shape when (if) it recalcifies.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I knew what it was called but never what it did. How can you tell if your tortoise has it? Is it obvious?