stunted growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShreksMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hi again.... I was wondering if it is possible that Shrek will remain around his current size considering he is 16 and smaller than many I have seen or read about that are younger. Could his growth have been stunted by the type of food and enclosure my cousin had him in? Do you think he will continue to grow even though he is 16? I'm a little concerned. Any input is greatly appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if anyone could really give a positive answer. It is possible that he could put on some growth and it's possible he won't. Having a better environment and diet will sure give him the best chance of gaining some size.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How big is he? How much does he weigh? If he's 16 years old and small for his age, it's possible to grow some more. It depends on the care he receives now. Sulcatas can live to be 100 years old.

ShreksMom

5 Year Member
FL
Thanks Wellington. It doesn't matter either way to me I think he is perfect just as he is. I will certainly keep doing all I can to keep him happy. :)

Sibi he is about 40lbs.... about 14" wide and 20-22" long.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How long had he been that size and weight? The reason why I ask is because I don't believe he's stunted at all. He may be a bit small but within the normal size for sulcatas. Remember, he'll live to be 100 years old. He had plenty time to grow.:)

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
my sulcata is 5-6 years old and is 6 inches long, lots of people have told me she is stunted. so just hoping for the best and giving her what she needs, only time will tell! good luck :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
With sulcatas, I remember reading that they grow at different rates. I truly believe that those who grow slowly really reflect how they are supposed to grow. Remember, they live to be 100 years old, and if they grow too fast, there could be problems with their carapace, and who knows what else. In the wild, they are not near the size of some torts here on this forum.

ShreksMom

5 Year Member
FL
Thanks rayney girl and good luck to you too. Time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.