To Grow or Not to Grow

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So I was just wondering about the growth of hatchling tortoises as far as visible growth is concerned. Is there a way to tell that a tortoise is about to grow besides his eating behavior? Us there something that happens to the shell that shows physically he/she will be growing? Does it vary with species. Just curious.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think (I know) that the process is too slow to actually see. Just take weight readings and measurements. Track the growth. It does matter about the species and how they are kept and fed, also.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You should see white growth rings .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I was just wondering about the growth of hatchling tortoises as far as visible growth is concerned. Is there a way to tell that a tortoise is about to grow besides his eating behavior? Us there something that happens to the shell that shows physically he/she will be growing? Does it vary with species. Just curious.

Growth is slow and continuous if everything has gone right. Its not something that is "about to happen". After it happens you will see new growth rings that have formed. There is not a precursor to warn of impending growth.

Why are you asking? Is your tortoise showing some sign or symptom you are wondering about? Is your tortoise not growing much?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Yeah im seeing some white in between scutes which i normally see. @Tom he is growing fine and healthy. He is starting to gain about 4-5 grams a week and is active as usual. All is well I just wanted to see if there was something i did not know about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah im seeing some white in between scutes which i normally see. @Tom he is growing fine and healthy. He is starting to gain about 4-5 grams a week and is active as usual. All is well I just wanted to see if there was something i did not know about.

Its really fun watching leopards grow as the new marbling comes out while they grow. You never know what color is coming next and its ever changing until they get big.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
Not sure if its different between breeds. However with my Redfoot, she will get a 1-2mm layer of keratin that is relatively see through at the edge of her skirt, which later changes colour to match the rest of the shell.