Can a vivarium be too big for a yearling?

KatieR

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

I live in the UK and have decided a vivarium is definitely the best option for us. I'm about to buy one ready for our new friend, who will be exactly one when we get it, but my question is, can a vivarium be too big for a yearling? Can we go straight for an 8ft one ready for them as an adult with the correct lighting/heating or will it stress them out/be too big for them wandering around? Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not really. Go with the big one and what I would do is put food, water, hide all on one half, leave the other half for exploring. If it were something like a big room or big yard, then I'd say yes. Even then just sectioning off a section and growing it as the tort grows is better then having to keep buying a bigger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I live in the UK and have decided a vivarium is definitely the best option for us. I'm about to buy one ready for our new friend, who will be exactly one when we get it, but my question is, can a vivarium be too big for a yearling? Can we go straight for an 8ft one ready for them as an adult with the correct lighting/heating or will it stress them out/be too big for them wandering around? Thanks.
That is an absurd internet myth, that was a myth before there was an internet. How can 8 feet be too large when these animals hatch in the wild with thousands of square miles to roam anytime they want?

Smaller enclosures are useful for trying to tame down certain lizards and snakes, but this does not apply to tortoises. Some lizard species are scared and flighty and if you have to chase them around a giant enclosure for five minutes with your hand, it can teach them to be scared of you and run from you. Done correctly, with the animal choosing to come to you for food or otherwise on its own terms, this doesn't happen, but that is/was the thinking. This simply does not apply to tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is an absurd internet myth, that was a myth before there was an internet. How can 8 feet be too large when these animals hatch in the wild with thousands of square miles to roam anytime they want?

Smaller enclosures are useful for trying to tame down certain lizards and snakes, but this does not apply to tortoises. Some lizard species are scared and flighty and if you have to chase them around a giant enclosure for five minutes with your hand, it can teach them to be scared of you and run from you. Done correctly, with the animal choosing to come to you for food or otherwise on its own terms, this doesn't happen, but that is/was the thinking. This simply does not apply to tortoises.
Another myth that years ago was used on this forum.