Can anyone ID this tree for me?

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
IMG_1637.jpg IMG_1636.jpg These trees are growing in my back yard I am in zone 4b and didn't think hibiscus could grown here. The flowers look like hibiscus to me. The trees are 8-10 feet tall and have flowered for the last 4 years we have been here. I was wondering if this was safe to feed my leopards?

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Looks like Rose of Sharon to me. Safe to feed!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Rose of Sharon for sure. It's a very hardy type of hibiscus. Leaves and flowers are all safe for torts.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
And I'm really jealous! :D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, consensus says Rose of Sharon. I have a nice large one as well in our garden that is also in full bloom. Ive been feeding my Sully a bloom and some leaves every few days. Nice delicate petals.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I say rose of Sharon (but I'm not the best at IDing plants) :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Yep, consensus says Rose of Sharon. I have a nice large one as well in our garden that is also in full bloom. Ive been feeding my Sully a bloom and some leaves every few days. Nice delicate petals.
How often does it bloom, in the summer? Have you noticed if they form seed pods?

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Thank you all for the response. That makes me very happy and my leopards as well. I found a wild grape vine on the other corner of my property. I had no idea it was there until this year! Now I need a mulberry tree.
How often does it bloom, in the summer? Have you noticed if they form seed pods?

Mine bloom once late summer. They actually just started blooming over the last two weeks or so.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you all for the response. That makes me very happy and my leopards as well. I found a wild grape vine on the other corner of my property. I had no idea it was there until this year! Now I need a mulberry tree.

Mine bloom once late summer. They actually just started blooming over the last two weeks or so.
Wild grape? What does it look like?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland

Rose of Sharon's seem like they're always "late to the party" for me. They start greening up late spring and start flowering throughout summer into fall. There are varieties that are sterile but if you don't have that kind, be prepared to have a billion seedlings that you have to pull up.. constantly. So yes, they have seed pods :p

And I'd take a pic of the wild grape we have growing here but it's getting kinda dark.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Rose of Sharon's seem like they're always "late to the party" for me. They start greening up late spring and start flowering throughout summer into fall. There are varieties that are sterile but if you don't have that kind, be prepared to have a billion seedlings that you have to pull up.. constantly. So yes, they have seed pods :p

And I'd take a pic of the wild grape we have growing here but it's getting kinda dark.
Cool! I'd never pull them up! LOL!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
It is dark. I will take a picture tomorrow for you. It may not be wild but I didn't plant it and it is growing on my chain link fence.
Oh, I see. Perhaps a previous owner planted it. Lucky you! :)

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Oh, I see. Perhaps a previous owner planted it. Lucky you! :)

Here is the pic of the grape vine no grapes but I have asked other people in my area an they said it is too early still. We may not get good grape yields this year. Thank goodness the torts eat the leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Thank you everyone again for helping me ID the Hibiscus trees! I fed my leo's the leaves and pedals today and everything was gone. I just got home and offered them one pedal and they came running! They love them. I have to make sure I don't give them upset bellies. :(

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you everyone again for helping me ID the Hibiscus trees! I fed my leo's the leaves and pedals today and everything was gone. I just got home and offered them one pedal and they came running! They love them. I have to make sure I don't give them upset bellies. :(
They should be fine. Glad they liked it. Try collecting some seeds and planting them indoors for the winter months.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Here is the pic of the grape vine no grapes but I have asked other people in my area an they said it is too early still. We may not get good grape yields this year. Thank goodness the torts eat the leaves.
Awesome! Thanks for the picture! I have to see if I can grow grapes here.