Can anyone tell me what this is?

mrsengland55

Location (City and/or State)
INDIANAPOLIS
I have a painted turtle that has developed some color on his shell. He is not eating well or basking. I have included pictures below. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240905_103642.jpg
    20240905_103642.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240905_103839.jpg
    20240905_103839.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Can't tell anything from the pictures. Out of focus and not sure what area you are talking about. Does look like a possible start of some shell rot, but cannot tell from the picture.

I suspect your midland painted turtles are not doing that well as they need more room to swim, plants to hide in. The tanks looks like it is probably way too small.

Also may be less active due to the lighting.

Need more info to help you and better pictures showing what specifically you are seeing and concerned about.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If Mark84 says it's a Midland painted it is. I also had a Midland painted turtle and I kept him in a 150 gallon aquarium and I thought that was too small...He needs lots of room to swim,with a gentle current

mrsengland55

INDIANAPOLIS
Can't tell anything from the pictures. Out of focus and not sure what area you are talking about. Does look like a possible start of some shell rot, but cannot tell from the picture.

I suspect your midland painted turtles are not doing that well as they need more room to swim, plants to hide in. The tanks looks like it is probably way too small.

Also may be less active due to the lighting.

Need more info to help you and better pictures showing what specifically you are seeing and concerned about.
Thank you Markw84. I plan on getting him a larger tank but, being retired, it's a lot of money and I just haven't got enough saved yet. I will try to post better pictures. I've put several plants in this tank but he eats them. Any advice you can offer me will be much appreciated. What can I do about the lighting? I rescued him 3 years ago and he's done just fine. I'm not sure what has changed. I sure do appreciate any advice from anyone out there.

mrsengland55

INDIANAPOLIS
If Mark84 says it's a Midland painted it is. I also had a Midland painted turtle and I kept him in a 150 gallon aquarium and I thought that was too small...He needs lots of room to swim,with a gentle current
Thank you. I am open to any suggestions for my Buddy. I will post additional pictures.

mrsengland55

INDIANAPOLIS
Thank you Markw84. I plan on getting him a larger tank but, being retired, it's a lot of money and I just haven't got enough saved yet. I will try to post better pictures. I've put several plants in this tank but he eats them. Any advice you can offer me will be much appreciated. What can I do about the lighting? I rescued him 3 years ago and he's done just fine. I'm not sure what has changed. I sure do appreciate any advice from anyone out there.
The spots on the top and rear of his shell are a pinkish-orange color. The front of his shell looks like the spaces between the scutes are widening. What do I do for him if this is the beginning of shell rot? His eyes are clear and he's not having any respiratory issues. I am trying to keep him from going into hibernation just as I did last year. Thank you.