WHAT IS IT???

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hi,
Recently I adopted FOUR NEW TURTLES from a friend who didn't want them anymore.
One is a female RES, one is a male YBS and one is male Southern painted turtle.
The RES and YBS get along great, but the little painted gets picked so I'm going to move to him with my original Midland Painted Turtle, who is much friendlier toward other turtles, and closer to my new little guys size range.
So all is great for my turtles and new turtle EXCEPT.... I haven't mentioned the FOURTH new turtle yet, have I? The one is so strange, and beyond anything that I have ever seen in a turtle, that it defies the aquatic turtle world.
He (assuming a guy, because of long tail and claws) is a grayish color all over. His shell has strange black lumps of color, and his head/legs/tail are decorated with light gray/yellowish/white stripes and spots. His claws are SUPER long and yellow, and his tail is long too... and I have NO IDEA WHAT IT IS. He sits and sulks on the bottom all day long, hardly ever coming up for breath, doesn't eat anything (even real meat, like chicken and pork) and I'm getting worried that something is wrong, he'll injure the others, or he;ll starve himself to death.
I have looked, quite literally, EVERYWHERE, and I have not found ONE lead as to what this turtle is. I uploaded one picture because it is hard to catch him swimming around. Let me know if you need more.
Thank you.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sorry, pictures didn't work the first time.

Attachments

• talons2.JPG
    talons2.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 58
  • talons1.JPG
    talons1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 58

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Congrats on your babies! I'm not sure what that 4th guy is. Can you get a better picture? His head is slider shaped.

Be careful keeping the Yellow Belly and Red Ear together. I also had those two residing together and my Yellow Belly hit mating age and oh boy, bit her all day. :/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The head looks like a reeves, but that is about it, the yellow claws are throwing me. Better pics would help/ for now I am gonna guess some sort of mud,or musk turtle.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks! Yes... I don't really want them to mate... I was thinking about separating them because they are kind of big to live together anyway!
I can can get some more pictures of him, like feet and stuff if he comes out again. Hmm.. I investigated mud and musk turtles but I'll check that other one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just looked! No, he isn't a reeves because he is indeed a melanistic slider! The claws, head and shell are all right! I'll go and read up on those... Thanks guys! Feels good to have identified!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was secretly hoping it was some sort of mutant reeve, I have had reeves for 25 + years, neat little species.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've heard of those before somewhere, I just didn't think to look into it until now. He does look them a little, but I think the shell color is off. I have NEVER heard of a melanistic slider, he looks nothing like the other sliders in there!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, it does seem to be that that's what he is. I
I've never heard of them before, but now I'll know all about them!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D
It's good to know he just a normal turtle and like, some weird horribly anti-social African turtle that will hurt my RES and YBS!