Tail Bite!! What now!! Can it get infected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I had put 3 of my baby red eared sliders with my 3 year old eastern painted turtle . I guess my painted turtle got territorial and bit 2 of them in the tail. Now I don't know what to do because the tails are like half way off and they're getting slimy. Please tell me what should I do to prevent any infection and to make the tails better.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Strongly suggest you not force them to be together again, the species should not be mixed---for this very reason and a bunch others....

You may need to clip the hanging piece off and keep the torts in a hospital environment until their tail heal....depending on how quickly the show to recover would dictate your next course of action...

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
Yea, I already separated them but will the tail heal in the water? The tail is getting slimy and I think it's because of the water not letting it heal what should I do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Clean it up and put a smear of vaseline iver the wound to keep the water out.

It's what I do the kids grazes so that they can shower :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It can become infected and you need to be careful. A good sterilizing agent like chlorhexadine can be very cheap over the Internet and literature suggests that all turtle keepers have it on hand for occasions like this. It's about 11 bucks for a gallon and you only use one part to every 20 parts of water, and apply that mixture to the wound before dry docking and applying an antibiotic like silvadine. Silvadine requires a prescription, but neosporin can be used in its place.

"Clipping" or further cutting of any flesh on your turtle shouldn't be one unless a vet feels its necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.