No longer eating!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Sorry, Turtle. If I had an aquatic turtle question, it would've been you that I'd ask......
I fed them this morning, and they only ate a couple pellets a piece! It's greens day, and they didn't touch those, either!! :(:confused:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay, here is my female RES as of today- thinner???
I know it's not solid, but I like peeking at the armpits and skin area to see if they've lost weight, and now I know how weighing might be handy!!

Attachments

• gjj.jpg
    gjj.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 11

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Lights? I'd suspect day length and air/water temperatures are involved. If you use a UVB bulb for basking, how old is it? Maybe time to replace it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I replaced my painted turtles UVB in early fall, middlish of September... and ms RES's bulb is almost band new! Juts a months old, maybe, because I had to buy 2 new MVBs when I separated :(
I bumped up their lights to 14 hours a day, do you think it needs time to kick in??

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm in Northern California. My 12 years old RES been stop eating for couple weeks now, He is ready for his hibernation this winter, which been the case for the past.

We have highs in about low 70th and low in about 50's. And will get colder for the next couple days. Our RES will stay in my porch, in his tank for the entire California winter. He always awake and swimming around and get onto his basking rock when sun hits into his tank.
So I'm in Phoenix, our RES is indoors and is too, slowing way down. I thought the fish in the tank were bullying him (goldfish, getting bigger .. he chases but I've the tank set up so he cannot catch them).
The question is, can I leave him in the kiddie pool overnight? I'm getting resistance from the other owner with regards to the temp being too low/hot.. unsuitable. There is shade provided and a basking rock as well. This is our first winter with him, so we're nervous.
Thank you.

teri

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well , my RES,never turned down worms, you might also try snails, grasshoppers/crickets.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well , my RES,never turned down worms, you might also try snails, grasshoppers/crickets.
Would live work better? Worms outdoors are either dead or frozen, but I could probably get them at the petstore! Are they okay with the shell?

TortMomma

I'm having this issue too.
I've just bumped up my basking/UVB light time on my RES and my UVB light on my EBT because I've really noticed a slow down in both. They're both hatchlings so I'm extra worried. I'm also getting a higher wattage under water heater for my RES.
My russian tort was slowing down so I changed from 12 to 14 hours on heat and now he's eating more than ever but I can't seem to get it right with the turtles. Especially my EBT who hasn't eaten (from what I've noticed) in about a week.
I guess we just chalk it up to that time of year and keep an eye on their health?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh, okay, that makes me feel a bit better!! I'm going to try the worms.
How long have you had 14 hour lights? Maybe they won't budge?? :confused:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Would live work better? Worms outdoors are either dead or frozen, but I could probably get them at the petstore! Are they okay with the shell?
Yes, live.
Bait stores, and walmart sell live earth worms and night crawlers.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Mine eat all year round, but I live in CA, I have had RES, for 30 years now.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mine eat all year round, but I live in CA, I have had RES, for 30 years now.
They stay warm all year, then, though?
(wait... so do mine.o_O ) They have never slowed down?
Why do you turtles do these things!

TortMomma

Just my RES who will go for a meal worm here and there and ignores the normal pellets, and baby shrimp. Won't even touch the guppies. The guppies nibble the pellets. So u now have pet fish.
My EBT has ignored all his wiggly favorites. He's in a room that is nice a warm too. Ebt hatchlings aren't fond of light and don't require as much heat as torts or RES' but she's warm enough.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just my RES who will go for a meal worm here and there and ignores the normal pellets, and baby shrimp. Won't even touch the guppies. The guppies nibble the pellets. So u now have pet fish.
My EBT has ignored all his wiggly favorites. He's in a room that is nice a warm too. Ebt hatchlings aren't fond of light and don't require as much heat as torts or RES' but she's warm enough.
Craving the crunch? o_O:D
Well, I guess they wouldn't be eating fish now, in the wild, but he can't know that... see, they're warm, but they don't eat anyway. Why!!

TortMomma

I've had RES before and never had this issue until now. He's not mine either, I'm fostering him until he's big enough to rehome.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've had RES before and never had this issue until now. He's not mine either, I'm fostering him until he's big enough to rehome.
Well, two of my sliders are just little piggies, as always, it's just 3 of the turtles on a boycot.
Maybe some captive turtles bio clock switches just don't flip on right??