Can elongated tortoise climb?! HELP!

elbieregan

I just got a rescued elongated tortoise. I used to have a sulcata so the owner's friend thought of my.

Pangea arrived in a large rabbit cage. I constructed a different cage using wire shelving (like a C&C cage for guinea pigs.)

She's currently in my classroom but now I'm concerned. Can she climb out??? It's 13" wire sides. She made no attempt to try while I was there.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't use wire walls - I've been impressed with my elongated's climbing ability. They're no Russians, but I watched my girl pull herself up on something a full shells length above her this week.

elbieregan

Thanks Sarah :/

I used an idea I got off the Internet and was so proud of the design! I rarely build anything by myself lol. I went and put a lid on the open part and will rethink the enclosure.

elbieregan

This is her setup. (Now with lid... Lol)

Attachments

• 1441504882079.jpg
    1441504882079.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 49

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
lol the only turtle that can match a Russian is a box

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This is her setup. (Now with lid... Lol)

Watch to make sure she isn't trying to climb still - she could fall on her back, even if she can't escape.

It's not an ideal habitat for an elongated. They need a lot of space to hide during the day - plants, half logs, a fake burrow, etc.. It isn't a species I would pick for a classroom tortoise if I was picking one. They are typically quite sedentary outside of the dawn and dusk hours although very full of personality when they are active.

Is the water dish always like that? That looks too high to safely get in and out of for the tortoise (and they do seem to enjoy soaking). Another issue with the wire walls is that it will make keeping the humidity they require very difficult. Elongateds do have a more generous temperature range than some tortoises, but I'd be concerned that school AC would be too drafty.

You've got a beautiful tortoise there - looks to be in great shape for a rescue, but it'll need you to do some rethinking of her space (it's also a very large tortoise for that enclosure size).

elbieregan

"she" (will sex later) arrived in this rabbit cage which she apparently has spent her whole time. I was going to make her a little hide also (for humidity and such also). She came with the water dish like that but I was going to put in the one I had with my sulcata (lower solid dish). I was putting together a bigger space just based on what she came with. I feel bad because I only had the time to look up her dietary requirements and we'll build a bigger enclosure soon. (My husband is the builder and he's been building me chicken accommodations at home.)

Our sulcata had a 4x8 pen in my classroom and we let him cruise outside of it daily. I couldn't quite get that pen in this room but I could build something 2 or 3 feet wide by up to 10 feet long.

I was also hoping to plant some window boxes full of plants (appropriate ones lol) and put them in there also.

I teach high school so it's usually "quieter" lol

Do you have pictures of your enclosure?

She looks very healthy (more of a "I don't have time" rescue not full neglect.)

BUT, I noticed her claws are curling under. I can take pictures but is that something I should trim?

So wood walls with covered areas are much better right? That's what we had with Wallace but I was thinking the rabbit cage was too small for this little lady.

Thanks so much for the help! I have never even seen an elongated tortoise for sale before. And the quick google I did was pretty vague!

Attachments

• 1441550520826.jpg
    1441550520826.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 19

elbieregan

Would something like this with a covered area be more appropriate?

Attachments

• 1441551413414.jpg
    1441551413414.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 23

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The one in your picture looks quite small, but a covered version of that is more the right style. Your suggestion of 2-3ft by 10ft would be good - or at least, that's roughly what mine is (I'll try to remember to take photos this afternoon to show you). Elongata aren't particularly common in the pet trade, so information on their care is lacking compared to others. Look at habitats built for yellow footed (or red footed) tortoises for ideas (the footed species subforum here is much more active than the Indotestudo sub). A low sided water dish - or two - is a must. Terracotta plant saucers are a popular choice.

As for the claws curling under, posting a photo would help. You can trim them if they need to be trimmed (but be careful you know where the quick is). Sometimes, curled claws can be a symptom of MBD. This species doesn't have nearly as high of a UVb requirement as many other tortoises, but they still require some, as well as a diet rich in calcium (mine devours cuttlebones). Hopefully the claws have just over grown from not having appropriate surface to wear them on. If they're curled under and can't be worn down naturally anymore, you'll need to trim them.