Can I feed my Russian tortoise grapes?

Crunchynapkin

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
So yeah basically the title. Also, along with grapes what other fruits can they eat? I was doing research and different sources were giving me different answers.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Fruits should be avoided for Russians and most temperate species as their kidneys aren't really designed to process that amount of sugar. Here is the careguide that can give you more clarity regarding what they can eat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians cannot process dietary sugars - it causes kidney and digestive problems - so sweet foods like fruit, tomato, carrot and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Cucumber and lettuce contain little fibre and and few nutrients so should also be fed sparingly.

Your tort should be eating weedy and leafy greens. It will benefit from a tiny sprinkle of calcium powder on food three times a week - no more as you can overdo it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

You are reading out of date info. I know there is a lot on conflicting data out there but Russians live more or less in a high desert. No fruit grows there and thus they aren’t designed to digest it. Other than a little cucumber (it’s actually a fruit!) my tortoise doesn’t get fruit. And very little in the way of sugary carrot or red pepper. She’s in the yard and gets plenty of sugar from the flowers she finds. I know you’ll find plenty of images on Facebook of people feeding it but that doesn’t make it healthy, not even as a “treat.”

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most species will eat a lot of things they shouldn't eat. Like a diabetic eating a cake.
But the only species capable of processing sugars are the REDFOOT and YELLOWFOOT tortoises and Box turtles to some extent.

jamesbond08

Pakistan
Fruits are healthy for tortoises, but some fruits like grapes and apples are juicy and contain high sugar levels, impacting their health.
Here I write a complete research on it. I am a tortoise lover and also love to write about them. And I love my work writing amazing Research on them.
I am sure you will amaze to read it, and it will be helpful for your tortoise. And also love to share here my research to make people easy for their tortoise diet plan!

Please Visit! https://discovercreatures.com/can-tortoises-eat-grapes-nutritional-value/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fruits are healthy for tortoises, but some fruits like grapes and apples are juicy and contain high sugar levels, impacting their health.
Here I write a complete research on it. I am a tortoise lover and also love to write about them. And I love my work writing amazing Research on them.
I am sure you will amaze to read it, and it will be helpful for your tortoise. And also love to share here my research to make people easy for their tortoise diet plan!

Please Visit! https://discovercreatures.com/can-tortoises-eat-grapes-nutritional-value/
This info is not correct. Your research led you to the wrong info.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Redfoots, Sulcatas and Russians area all very different with different dietary needs. Just b/c something is a tortoise doesn't mean they all have the same diet, so you can't be overly broad when giving advice about them.