Can I keep two Hermanns together?

Rhoen1

Hi :) I'm new to tortoises, and doing my research prior to purchasing one. I have a really cool plan for a 95sqft enclosure, and was wondering if two or even three Hermanns could be in that space without fighting. Also, if someone could answer a few other questions, I'd appreciate it.
1) do they need flagstone to file down their nails?
2) do they like to dig deep? I was thinking of making the enclosure 2 or even 4 ft tall. Is 2 good enough, or would 4 be a lot better?
3) do they recognise you? I love how tortoises can be sort of social, and recognise their owners. Do Hermanns do that?
4) would soil with grass planted be a good substrate?
5) what plants can be grown in the enclosure, and are decorative but safe to eat for them?
Thanks! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. A trio of young juveniles, or a group of one adult male and two or more females will probably be fine in an enclosure that size.

Your questions:
1. Not a requirement, but I like to use flat rocks, slate or flagstone under my basking lamps.
2. 24" tall with 6-8" of substrate is plenty.
3. Generally yes. They begin to associate you with their food. Babies will likely remain leery for a few years, but as they get older, they will likely warm up to you.
4. I would not recommend this. They are not grass eaters and it can be tough to keep grass alive indoors. I prefer orchid bark and its available cheaply in bulk.
5. Its tough to grow plants indoors and tortoises will trample and eat them. You might have better luck if the plants are in planters, but grow your own from seed, or get them from safe sources. Any commercially bought plants will be full of systemic toxic pesticides that can last for up to a year.

Rhoen1

With a group of male and females, how many eggs would be produced? Can the hatchlings be sold, because I can't keep more than 3-4 tortoises.
That's good :) I love the look of flagstone. Ok, perfect :) makes sense. Ok, but I don't really like it. Can you suggest others?

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Usual clutch is 2-3 eggs. All eggs are not always fertile. It's taken me 4 years to produce my first baby

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
and lots of expense and trial and error. I would think long and hard before getting a second or third.

Hermann's breed best in groups of multiple males, for that you need to be able to separate them if they get too aggressive. You need lots of space and an outside enclosure.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Also buy and read Wegehaupt's Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding Hermann's Tortoises.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well done for researching before taking the plunge, its amazing how much there is to learn!
If you don't want to breed, why not go for a group of same sex torts or even just stick with one because they don't need other torts for company as they are solitary creatures.
That's a big enclosure! Are your plans for indoors or outside?
If outside will you have an indoor enclosure too? If you are getting a baby I think I've read that they have to be inside most of the time for a couple of years with short trips out when its warm enough. However that may be the advice for a different species so I could be talking rubbish!! I'm sure Tom or other Hermanns keepers will be able to set me straight on that.
There is a good caresheet under Species Specific for Hermanns. I also found the Beginners Mistakes thread useful and the Enclosures thread has great ideas. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good website for finding tort safe plants.

Rhoen1

Fair enough. I heard from hermanni Chris that a 2:3 ratio works, which I may do if my 1:2 ratio doesn't work. I'm going to give them outdoor space, but I'm in Canada. However, I am building a large enough enclosure that I can separate them if needed.

Thank you :) everyone here knows quite a bit, and I like to be prepared. I've thought about it, but I am thinking I want to breed, and I like to see both genders. I know XD I've been thinking about shrinking it a bit, but it's indoors. :) thank you!