Can I Leave for 2 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I need to go out of town this weekend, Friday night and return Sunday afternoon. Can I take Mr. Tibbs with me, (I can take the tortoise house!) or will he be ok for 2 days w/o water or food?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
How old is he? I always take tortoises under one with me. My bigger ones I leave at home and a friend checks on them and feeds them every other day. I am considering getting a web cam so I can see them while away :)

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Missy said:
How old is he? I always take tortoises under one with me. My bigger ones I leave at home and a friend checks on them and feeds them every other day. I am considering getting a web cam so I can see them while away :)

Mr. Tibbs is about 3-4 months old. Can I just take the whole tortoise house with me? Or should I get a smaller tub?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why can't he have food and water while your gone? I have left mine, now a 14 mo. old leopard for two nights. I make sure he has nothing to climb that he could fall off and get stuck on his back. I give him a giant handful of greens and fill his bowl with fresh water. I also put in weeds that i grow either in a seperate container, or i already have them growing in his house. I also make sure his substrate is damp to keep up humidity while I am gone. his lights and heat is always on a timer. Don't leave him without food and water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you decide to take em with you...when you arrive where you are going will he have a quiet place to be? Will he have heat in his vacation trip? :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He'll be perfectly fine for two days without water and food but I would take him with just because I would worry about no heat for him when I am gone.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I leave hatchlings all the time for several days. Just put part of a head of Escrole in the habitat. Escrole holds up well for many days, nearly a week. Just put it in the cooler part of the habitat.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
pan1k said:
I need to go out of town this weekend, Friday night and return Sunday afternoon. Can I take Mr. Tibbs with me, (I can take the tortoise house!) or will he be ok for 2 days w/o water or food?
Your tortoise is better off being left at home in familiar surroundings. It would be a good idea to leave a shallow dish of water for your tortoise to remain hydrated. Especially if it is a young tortoise. If you're only going to be gone for a couple of days leaving food with it is much less critical.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just left some brand new baby tortoises at home for about 5 days and they did well. Just leave a good amount of food in their enclosure and make sure they have water.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This is great information to know for future reference! Thanks for posting.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Blake m said:
This is great information to know for future reference! Thanks for posting.

Mr. Tibbs was fine. I left enough food and water. Thanks everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.