Can someone explain this? (tortoise chases ball)

Eva C

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Tortoise chases ball:

Is he going after it because he thinks it is something to eat, or is he actually playing? And, how do I get my tortoise to chase a ball? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neither. He is attacking it as if it is an intruder in his territory. Quite common behavior for a russian tortoise. They are very scrappy and territorial. Tortoises don't "play".

It is also very bad to let them roam loose in the house like that, and slick floors are not good for their legs either.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree. That is not playing. That is a tortoise trying to remove an intruder. It looks nothing like a tortoise to you, but believe me mine was aggressive towards buckets, the lawn mower ( a particularly hated foe), the wheelie bin... and tried to mate with shoes, small balls, rocks, shoes, the drain cover... did I mention shoes?

Tortoises aren't very bright. These things are stressful. And I never advocate putting any animal through unnecessary stress

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Neither. He is attacking it as if it is an intruder in his territory. Quite common behavior for a russian tortoise. They are very scrappy and territorial. Tortoises don't "play".

It is also very bad to let them roam loose in the house like that, and slick floors are not good for their legs either.

Disappointing, but way more plausible. Thanks so much for the info!

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
The poor guy is totally stressed out. The ball looks like an intruder and tries to "run away" when he bites it, so he is frantically chasing it.
Thanks so much for the info. I am a new tortoise owner and don't know their behaviors yet. I had a feeling this video wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Some tortoises will push a ball. My Redfoot used to.
Certainly a solo Russian will. But it may just cause unneeded stress to the animal.

Is maybe a little stress good for them though? Keeps them from getting bored and more like their situation in the wild? Like I give my dog a steady supply of toys to destroy, which is agression but is natural behavior, and it keeps her from getting bored. Just a thought.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks so much for the info. I am a new tortoise owner and don't know their behaviors yet. I had a feeling this video wasn't all its cracked up to be.
Look up "tortoise wiggling butt"
Spraying them with a garden hose makes them dance and the jury is still out as to if it's a pleasure response or something else.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No stress isn't good for them. There is no excuse for putting a wild animal kept in captivity under any more stress than is necessary.

They are not social creatures, they are territorial loners.

Character building is a human thing. It doesn't apply to wild animals.

Tortoises are wild animals. They are not domesticated in any way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is maybe a little stress good for them though? Keeps them from getting bored and more like their situation in the wild? Like I give my dog a steady supply of toys to destroy, which is agression but is natural behavior, and it keeps her from getting bored. Just a thought.
A bored tortoise seems to be a happy tortoise.
(IMO)
Remember that dogs actually enjoy playing

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If you want to keep your tort from getting bored build him a large outside enclosure and give him new things to explore every once in a while. New plants, stones, logs, hay, a heap of moss,... whatever.
But a ball on slick floor is a bad way to keep them occupied. The tort in the video can never really reach the "intruder" to sniff, taste and explore. Looks extremely frustrating to me. :confused:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you want to keep your tort from getting bored build him a large outside enclosure and give him new things to explore every once in a while. New plants, stones, logs, hay, a heap of moss,... whatever.
But a ball on slick floor is a bad way to keep them occupied. The tort in the video can never really reach the "intruder" to sniff, taste and explore. Looks extremely frustrating to me. :confused:

I agree.

Its the flailing horizontally held legs that are the most disturbing part of it for me.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
No stress isn't good for them. There is no excuse for putting a wild animal kept in captivity under any more stress than is necessary.

They are not social creatures, they are territorial loners.

Character building is a human thing. It doesn't apply to wild animals.

Tortoises are wild animals. They are not domesticated in any way.

It is my understanding that reptiles are very different types of creatures, not emotional like humans and other mammals. So while it is probably not appropriate to use terms like "bored", and "playful", what I was suggesting was the possibility that facing small challenges could benefit a tortoise for the very reason that it more closely mimics their situation in the wild. In general, when we create our tortoise habitats there is the assumption that the closer it is to their "natural" environment, the better.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.

Yes this is more the kind of thing I was thinking about. I agree that the video is not the way to go about it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No, I do not think your tort is playing either.

I once put a small bouncing ball into Oli's enclosure to see his reaction. He ignored it and didn't seem to be in the least interested.