Can someone recommend me a good T5 Light stand ?

JDDV97

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Tx
IMG_2451.png
I am buying this Reptizoo T5 10.0 UVB tube and fixture combo for my tortoise, can anyone recommend me a good small stand that will fit inside of a 3ft. High pop-up greenhouse?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not buy that one. Get ZooMed or Arcadia.

You can easily make a stand yourself with PCV pipe and some "L" and "T" fittings. They just press fit together and you don't even need any PVC glue, unless you want it.

You can also make a stand using 2x4s. Those can attach to your tortoise enclosure inside the greenhouse tent.

Finally, you can buy two of the ZooMed light stands, one for each end of your fixture.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
I would not buy that one. Get ZooMed or Arcadia.

You can easily make a stand yourself with PCV pipe and some "L" and "T" fittings. They just press fit together and you don't even need any PVC glue, unless you want it.

You can also make a stand using 2x4s. Those can attach to your tortoise enclosure inside the greenhouse tent.

Finally, you can buy two of the ZooMed light stands, one for each end of your fixture.
Thank you for your message ! Can you confirm if this bulb is safe for my tortoise basking light?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your message ! Can you confirm if this bulb is safe for my tortoise basking light?
The Fluker brand doesn't say whether it is a flood or a spot. The larger wattage ones seem like floods, but that one looks more like a spot. The difference is the angle of the light beam emitted. We want it more spread out for tortoises, not concentrated into a smaller area.

To answer your question: I don't know. With incandescent bulbs so hard to come by now, I would get it and try it out. Look to see how wide of a lit area it creates under it and make sure you check the temperature at tortoise shell height under it carefully. The beam of light under it should be significantly larger than your tortoise. Se the height by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height, and letting it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the fixture height to get the correct temperature.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
The Fluker brand doesn't say whether it is a flood or a spot. The larger wattage ones seem like floods, but that one looks more like a spot. The difference is the angle of the light beam emitted. We want it more spread out for tortoises, not concentrated into a smaller area.

To answer your question: I don't know. With incandescent bulbs so hard to come by now, I would get it and try it out. Look to see how wide of a lit area it creates under it and make sure you check the temperature at tortoise shell height under it carefully. The beam of light under it should be significantly larger than your tortoise. Se the height by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height, and letting it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the fixture height to get the correct temperature.
Oh no 😦, can you recommend me a safe basking light ? Anything available on Amazon ? It’s reading 97 on basking rock with digital thermometer and Temperature gun.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh no 😦, can you recommend me a safe basking light ? Anything available on Amazon ? It’s reading 97 on basking rock with digital thermometer and Temperature gun.
That basking bulb may be okay. How wide is the beam when the height is set to 97 degrees?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That bulb might be ok, but if you want a dead certain, I’d go with the Arcadia flood bulb🙂they’re pretty reasonably priced too👍
IMG_1669.png
Hopefully they’re available where you are