Can terra cotta saucer scratch?

Jami

Hi. Can the terra cotta plant saucer scratch my hatchling's plastron? He struggles a bit getting in and out and this is why I waited this long to put one back in his enclosure. He has a more shallow stone bowl for a water dish and to the best of my knowledge doesn't use it. Which is ok. He gets 20-30 minute soaks in the morning and sometimes a short soak in the evening if he's still up and around. But I put the saucer in this afternoon with some food in it and found him in it munching away. But then watched him get out and even though it's level with substrate, he did have to drag on his belly for a minute, on the lip of it. Thoughts? Thanks! Dover looks great and I don't want him hurt!!!! He's a good strong baby. I've had him a week now!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It will do no harm to your baby. I've used them on literally hundreds of hatchlings through adults of many species. Everything from 3" terra cotta saucers to 18" ones. I've got about 20 in use right now and all my tortoises plastrons are un scratched.

The stone saucer that he doesn't use is of more concern to me. If a tort is not using its water bowl, I prefer to figure out why and fix it.

Jami

It will do no harm to your baby. I've used them on literally hundreds of hatchlings through adults of many species. Everything from 3" terra cotta saucers to 18" ones. I've got about 20 in use right now and all my tortoises plastrons are un scratched.

The stone saucer that he doesn't use is of more concern to me. If a tort is not using its water bowl, I prefer to figure out why and fix it.
Thanks! Makes me feel better. He has checked out the water bowl a lot, I've never seen him get in or get a drink, even when I put him in it so he'd know the deal. Tyler (tort supply) said he doesn't usually have water dishes in with hatchlings so maybe my guy gets enough with the soaks. He could be using it when I'm not watching or here. Some days it seems to have less water and more substrate in it. But I think it seeps a bit too. My guess is he uses it sometimes but I've just never seen him do it.

Thanks again for reassuring me!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
He should be fine. Terra Cotta is smooth, @diamondbp is completely right :D
Your baby might not use the stone saucer because it's too deep (?) and he doesn't feel safe using it.It could be that he doesn't like the location... too close to the light?

Jami

He should be fine. Terra Cotta is smooth, @diamondbp is completely right :D
Your baby might not use the stone saucer because it's too deep (?) and he doesn't feel safe using it.It could be that he doesn't like the location... too close to the light?
Thanks for the ideas. The water bowl is more shallow than the saucer but is shaped differently. Maybe I need to move it- it's more toward the cool end actually. Thanks!

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
My little guy did not use his at first either. I just took him a couple of times a day and placed him in it, then let him climb a out on his own. After a week or so he started going to it on his own. I'm not sure it really made a difference, but it seemed like it did. Pogo has a hard time climbing out too, but he seems to manage ok.

Jami

My little guy did not use his at first either. I just took him a couple of times a day and placed him in it, then let him climb a out on his own. After a week or so he started going to it on his own. I'm not sure it really made a difference, but it seemed like it did. Pogo has a hard time climbing out too, but he seems to manage ok.
Thanks for sharing that. I'll show it to him some more. He's still pretty skittish with me. But when I start being gone longer and have to go back to work he may need it!