No Water

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
I’ve been changing Shelly’s enclosure around today and have removed a big slab of concrete that I used to feed him on because it is just so bloody difficult to keep clean, having to lift a heavy piece of concrete as a 5’4 woman is no easy task lol. So! I’m instead now using his water bowl (terra cotta dish) to feed him on but this, of course, leaves him with no water dish. If I bathe him every day for 20 minutes at a time to give him adequate time to hydrate, will he be alright without a water bowl for (a week at most) until I can go and get another terra cotta saucer large enough for him? He rarely used the bowl anyway but I’m a little nervous about leaving him with no access to water in his enclosure.

Many thanks!

1A44F1EB-A780-4B20-BA2D-C7A489402C0F.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He probably will be fine, but do you have a plastic plate? Or even a sheet pan you can part with? I get cheap ones from the dollar store and use those to feed on. The summer time grazing seems to be enough to keep mine beaks in check. If you still need the saucer, you can just replace the plate or pan when you get it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been changing Shelly’s enclosure around today and have removed a big slab of concrete that I used to feed him on because it is just so bloody difficult to keep clean, having to lift a heavy piece of concrete as a 5’4 woman is no easy task lol. So! I’m instead now using his water bowl (terra cotta dish) to feed him on but this, of course, leaves him with no water dish. If I bathe him every day for 20 minutes at a time to give him adequate time to hydrate, will he be alright without a water bowl for (a week at most) until I can go and get another terra cotta saucer large enough for him? He rarely used the bowl anyway but I’m a little nervous about leaving him with no access to water in his enclosure.
He'll be totally fine. Soak daily for 40 minutes. Spray the food with water too.

I use terra cotta saucers for food and water in all my indoor enclosures. I buy extras to have on hand, because I like to clean them and let them sun dry in-between uses, and also because they will all eventually get dropped and broken, but only on holidays and when the stores are closed.