Can you help identify these box turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
I am picking up 2 box turtles that are in need of a home..I know one is a 3 toed box...but the other i think is a eastern, but am unsure about the markings.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
you are correct you have one B E A utiful three toed female from what i can see (may need better photos to verify) and an Ornate Box turtle : ) i just asked this same question on this and other forums where i had the possibility of getting two ornate i thought they might have been florida boxies from the rather bad photo's. but you definatly have an ornata ornata : ) congrats

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Hello,

Thank you!!..these are the 2 I am adopting from a craigslist posting. The lady told me that they have had them 10 yrs, (i will quarantine from my boxy for a while). I have a female 3 toed that is over 15 yrs old. I was looking to adopt only 1 when I saw that these girls come as a pair. The lady told me that the one from a pet store has only one eye and the other has grown shut (they got her that way). Wow...ornate box turtle, I figure it's the same type of care since they were housed together...I'm super excited!!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
eek one eye grown shut? hmmmm definatly best to quarantine them "just in case" do post photos of the eye when you get her, as far as care easterns and three toes are practicly the same however ornates do prefer it a little warmer and are more carnivorious then the three toes

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't mean to get in the middle of this conversation, but Scott is right. Quarantine for 4 to 6 months. Get some Terramycin eye ointment and start putting it on the eye that "has grown shut". I'll bet that it's mostly just dehydrated and the ointment will make the eye open. I could be wrong without really seeing it...but...also the Ornata needs her beak trimmed so a Vet visit is in order. Get them checked for parasites while they are there. But in no way should you put them with your older Box turtle until after a quarantine period...:)

I house my 3-toed and Ornata together and it works out just fine...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Hello,

The lady said the eye was shut when they got her over 10 years ago. Now i feel a bit skeptical..i want to adopt these turtles, but I dont want to adopt a problem..if ya know what i mean...I have not seen the turtle yet..she would like me to visit them to make sure I really want them...I though about driving over on Friday..I may take some pics with my phone of them...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I hope it works out, sounds like they are in need of a real good home! Good luck! :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
well its always good to check out what your getting before commiting. go check her out take lots of pictures. and report back : ) i hope that everything turns out alright, and the only thing i would be concerned about is the eye . especially if its been locked up that long chances are she will be blind in that eye even if you can get it open. and as maggie3fan Terramycin may be a must, although you should get them checked by a vet Terramycin can be purchased on amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.