Can you help me identify this tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its a sulcata. Do you plan to keep it? We can tell you how to feed and care for it if yes. Keep it warm at night. Close to 80.

Pinck777

Atlanta, GA
Thank you, would this have been someone’s pet most likely? I have an aquatic turtle but have never had a tortoise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This tortoise showed up a few days ago, I live in the Atlanta, GA area.
Hello and welcome to the tortoise forum. I'm not really experienced in identifying the species that has decided to visit you. Until more experienced members get with you, you could check out the forums dealing with that on this site. And also look at species native to your state.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Its a sulcata. Do you plan to keep it? We can tell you how to feed and care for it if yes. Keep it warm at night. Close to 80.
you are always there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, would this have been someone’s pet most likely? I have an aquatic turtle but have never had a tortoise.
Definitely. They are native to Africa, but we've been captive breeding them here since the 90's. They get huge. Over 100 pounds and they need warm temperatures year round. Luckily they eat mostly grass and grass hay, so they are pretty easy to feed.

They are probably the most common tortoise in the country, and likely the world. They breed easily and make huge numbers of babies annually. Sometimes, when they get too big to manage, people turn them loose. They are also extremely strong and many of them simply push through the barriers meant to contain them and escape.

It would be great if you could find this tortoises owner.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

First order of business is to place him in a tub of shallow water. I can tell by his squinty eyes he's pretty thirsty. Next you need to do all you can to find his owner. Most newspapers accept 'found' ads for free. Knock on doors in your neighborhood and ask if he belongs to them or if they know who owns him. Make fliers with writing big enough to be read by passing cars and tack them up on utility poles. Post a found ad on craigslist.com and on nextdoor.com. Someone is pretty upset about their tortoise getting out!

Pinck777

Atlanta, GA
Thank you I will absolutely try to find the owner, I would love to keep If I can’t but think I would be in over my head. If I can’t locate the owner I will find a sanctuary.

What should I be feeding, I don’t have a lot of grass in my yard. I read I can give spring mix but I want to feed the best possible diet while I have it.

Georgia
Thank you I will absolutely try to find the owner, I would love to keep If I can’t but think I would be in over my head. If I can’t locate the owner I will find a sanctuary.

What should I be feeding, I don’t have a lot of grass in my yard. I read I can give spring mix but I want to feed the best possible diet while I have it.

Here’s a feeding guide for you: For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Spring mix is not ideal, as their diet must consist of grass. You can pick up some grass hay from your local pet store. And you’re going to need to soak that little guy, he looks a little dehydrated.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I'm sending you all my best wishes and prayers. The darling picked the right home to visit. Hopefully fate will step in and you'll find the owner or the right home.