can you help my horsefield's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahjane

5 Year Member
Can anyone help my horsfield. He is loosing weight while still eating running a marathon all the time? I'm puzzled

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What are you feeding him?

Have you had his feces checked for parasites?

Does he have a hiding place to rest in?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
eating and losing weight is sometimes a sign of parasites, I would get him.her checked out at a vet myself.

sarahjane

5 Year Member
He being soaked every other day for 20 mins. Had a log hide which he just runs through and over and performs stunts. Also eats a bit of carrot once a week a slice of cucumber once a week and daily rocket, watercress, occasional dandelion leaf
as there seems to be none at the moment and spinach. He has water to drink too. A cuttlefish bone and a sprinkle of calcium powder.

TortoiseMD

5 Year Member
it's likely a combination of diet and UVB/ heat availablity, I would recommend to increase the leafy greens in his diet (possibly make it the only diet) no need to sprinkle calcium if you have cuttlebone as the tortoise knows when to take extra calcium.
also check if he has adequate heat or too much heat (could be getting dehydrated).
A picture might help !

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
First thing might be to change his diet! A good and constant variety of dark, tough, leafy greens should make up 80-85% of his diet. A good variety of quality vegetables should be the other 15-20%. The list of greens is long, stay away from large volumes of those known to be calcium binders and contain large amounts of oxilac acids. Vegetables-again the list is long a varied. Stay away from cucumbers, tomatoes and other soft vegetables and fruits that are high in water and/or sugar content.

Even though you may be offering water to drink you also need to make sure that your tortoise has a relatively medium ambient humidity (50-65%) in his enclosure and some moisture in the substrate. Both will help to keep from becoming dehydrated, along with regular drinking water.

Parasites are also a very possible problem, especially if your tortoise is wild caught or has been exposed to other tortoises that are. In this case their feces is normally loose and runny and in worse cases you may see bits of undigested food in their feces. Often times what you have fed them will pass through them in a matter of hours (and is still identifiable) rather than days as it normally would.

sarahjane

5 Year Member
I did ring the pet shop where I brought him From they said more tough greens less salad type leaves. Poo just dark dark green and it seperates in the water, but no identifiable food Moor like puree. Plenty of water and daily soaks also water in table to.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is an imported russian, it is prob got a heavy parasite load and should be checked by a vet IMHO.

sarahjane

5 Year Member
He not imported. He is eating well and putting on a little weight. His eyes are bright but poo still very wet like when you squeeze paint out of a tube! He still active and sleeps well at night. Funn little chap.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
My vet charges 35 dollars to take in a fecal sample..... call your vet and check there price...no visit fee required

Status
Not open for further replies.