Can't decide, need advice

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I have an opportunity to pick up two baby purebred pp leopards from a guy here in TO

He sent me pics of the parents, and he's raising them using the humid method.

He's asking $1400 for the pair, and that with Benny would make three, so hopefully no bullying. But I'm hesitating.

Here are the parents and the babies

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381514974.175471.jpg the female
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381514991.678848.jpgthe male
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381515238.159588.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381515247.476744.jpg

What does everyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's not doing the humid method, they are pyramided. How old are they? Hatchlings go for around 300-4 I believe. 1400.oo little high unless they are older.
Not a bad deal depending on age and if truly 100% pp

The female to me does not look to be pp?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where is TO? How does the person know they are pure PP?

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Here are the conversations I have been having. I just have this nagging suspicion I am going to get into all kinds of trouble or heart ache with this

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381522257.465460.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381522321.300394.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381522346.015572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381522356.902454.jpg

I think I'm going to follow my instincts here and avoid the deal. As much as I love the idea of a brood of my beautiful tort friends something is telling me I may not be happy proceeding with this desire

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have know idea about hatching them. Nothing really sounds way out there. My only concern is that they lied about the humid method. They would not be pyramided if they did the humid method, as they would start them from the get go the right way, seeing they hatched them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They do look a bit pyramided, but my guess would be that the friend who hatched them started them off dry and the person you're buying from has kept them humid so I wouldn't go as far as to say you were lied to. Giving your contact the benefit of the doubt here. He seems to have some good knowledge.

They are still young enough where you can influence smooth growth and by the time they're adults, it won't be very noticeable.

I'm not too knowledgeable about tortoises in Canada, but those prices seem about right.

The hatching technique agrees with what I know about hatching pardalis eggs. The adults look legit as do the hatchlings. I would still be skeptical that they are completely pure, but it's probably the closest thing to pure that you could find in your area from what I know.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I like to think people would be honest and I did ask the relevant questions. I'm so afraid to invest and get a failed hatchling. My kids and I would be crushed. And to top things off we just had a baby corn snake dropped off at our door by a neighbour, so I'm currently getting it settled into our small terrarium.
The fact of the matter is I always trust my instincts. I would love a brood, but think I will take my time and just continue to enjoy my handsome Benny for now.

richybear

5 Year Member
Can I ask a stupid question what is pp leopard I tried looking it up sorry if I sound stupid

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Don't all tortoises have temperature dependent sex?

p.p. = pardalis pardalis, the southern subspecies of leopards

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
richybear said:
Can I ask a stupid question what is pp leopard I tried looking it up sorry if I sound stupid

if there is genuine concern and curiosity behind a question, its not stupid. this is especially true on a forum specifically made for people to ask questions. that being said..ask away! to answer your question..P. Pardalis is one of two subspecies of Leopard tortoise. P. Pardalis are known for their shell patterns, and they get slightly larger than the other subspecies P. Babcocki. theyre also more expensive.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

richybear

5 Year Member
Thank you I just recently got 2 leopards which were seriously pyramiding so still learning

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Trust your gut! If it's saying NO then listen up. There will be other opportunities to buy p.p leos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That's way to expensive in my opinion. You could spend 650 or so and pick up two hatchlings shipped from woodysreptiles or ATC with no worries. That's who I've gotten mine from and they are flawless and healthy. Just a thought.
The convo seems legit , my concern is the high price and the pyramiding

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The OP is in Canada. Tortoises in Canada are more expensive typically.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Neal said:
Oh thanks Neal. 1400 that's more than double here in the states wow

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Neal said:
Oh thanks Neal. 1400 that's more than double here in the states wow

It's so very unfair! :'(. But raising them here has more costs associated with it cause of our stupid cold weather and we don't have any nice warm states to ship them up from ;)

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Idk how old this thread is but if that's really his female tortoise, I see Arizona Tortoise Compound using the exact same picture for the female on their site.

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Yep he was using that same picture for Babcocki Leopards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't checked ATC's site to see if they're correct on picture usage, but my first thought when looking at the pictures was the the adult female in this thread is Babcocki.

If you want the tortoises and can afford the price, I say, go for it. But not until you see the tortoises in person.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif